chapter 12: his conflicted heart

Start from the beginning

"I'm sure you don't like me for the same reason," Hoseok said with a nonchalant shrug. "It's not rocket science."

"Okay, let's be open here." Namjoon folded his arms and stared straight at Hoseok. "I like Kim Chungha, and I've liked her ever since she joined the company. You?"

"I fell for her eight years ago back in uni," Hoseok said calmly. "And I've never stopped loving her. So you, Namjoon-ssi, can learn to take a few seats."

"Why?" Namjoon took a step forward, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Am I not allowed to pursue her or something? Does she belong to you or what?"

"Mm-" Hoseok nodded without any hesitation. "She belongs to me. She's my first girlfriend, and the only person I will ever acknowledge as my girlfriend."

"That's just you," Namjoon said curtly. "Have you ever thought of what she thinks?"

"She feels the same way-" Hoseok's confidence did not waiver. "I'm more than a 100% sure of it. We were once happy together before, we can be happy together once again."

"I'm afraid not, Hoseok-ssi," Namjoon said firmly with his hand on the doorknob once more. "Because as long as I'm here, it'll be difficult for you."

"You're no threat to me, Kim Namjoon-" Hoseok said as Namjoon turned the doorknob, ready to leave. But Hoseok's words made him stay. "Kim Chungha's heart is always mine, just the way my heart is always hers. We may have broken up before this because I wasn't good enough, but now I've changed, and we will go back to the way we used ro be. Besides, four years of being apart is insignificant compared to the amount of time we're going to be spending together for the rest of our lives. It's better if you back down as soon as you can, if you don't want to get hurt."

"You're right-" Namjoon said softly, facing the door and his back facing Hoseok. "But only partially. You've had your chance, but you didn't play it well. That's on you. Now it's over, so now let me have mine."

"Except it isn't over," Hoseok said persistently, as he leaned against Namjoon's desk, eyeing him carefully. "I'm not done yet, and I will never be done. I know it's unfortunate for you, but your chance will never come, Namjoon-ssi. Not today, not tomorrow, not even after we get back together. You need to move on."

Namjoon wanted to retort back, but he was tired and emotionally drained. He turned the knob and left his office, spotting a few of his staff still hanging around in the office. Chungha was at her computer, with her earpieces on, clearly working hard to complete a news article she had been assigned. A small smile played at Namjoon's lips. She always worked hard, and that was one thing he liked most about her.

"Eh, eh, eh-" Jisoo, who was scrolling through her phone, looked over the partition and tapped Chaeyoung on the shoulder. "Chaeyoung-ah, did you see what Hoseok sunbae-nim and Chungha-ssi this morning?"

Chaeyoung looked up, clearly interested. "No, I didn't since I came late. Why? What were they up to this morning?"

"Their faces were so close to each other and they were whispering like little high school kids!"

"Omo! Really? That's adorable."

"Chungha-ssi was like quite annoyed by him, so he took her by the chair and spun her around to face him, you know?" Jisoo squealed as she put her two hands together. "Their faces were like this close."