Chapter 3

A/N- Hey guys, don't give up on me.  I'm doing part of this chapter from Ray's point of view so everything makes more sense.  I'm better at writing from a female's perspective than a male's, so bare with me.  This won't take long.

Ray's POV: (Before he found Jordan in the auditorium)

"You aren't as smooth as you think," said Justin, shaking his head.  His gorgeous blond girlfriend sat on his lap, looking at me with a smirk.  I'm not a big fan of her, just because she thinks she's all that.  Justin just thinks I'm jealous that he can get girls and I can't.  I was trying to convince him otherwise.

"Oh please.  I can get any girl I want," I said triumphantly, somewhat eager for him to challenge me.

"Doubt it," he continued.  I rolled my eyes.  His girlfriend rested her head on his shoulder.  Then she turned his head towards her, and kissed him.  I rolled my eyes again.  I was eating for god's sake.

"Jealous much?" said Justin.  He obviously wasn't going to challenge me.  Just sit there and make out with his flirtatious girlfriend.  Sometimes I hated this dude.  But, I didn't have any other friends in this lunch period, so I was stuck with him.  He was always in this rivalry state of mind with me, and I never knew why.

"Not so much," I said, and continued to eat.  His girlfriend left the table, saying that she had to go to cheer practice.  Who has cheer practice in the middle of lunch? Didn't they need to eat?

"Okay, let's make a deal," he said.  It's about time.

"Okay, what's your deal," I said, heart racing.  I was always good at bets.

"I bet that you can't get Jordan Ainsworth to fall for you," he said.  I froze, and recalled the girl that sat in the back of my social studies class.  she didn't get good grades, nor did she try.  Everyone knew that she was hiding something, but nobody knew what.  I remember her coming a couple years ago, but she never said a single word to anyone.  Because nobody talked to her, and she talked to no one.  After class, she would always disappear into the music wing.  We always heard the hum of beautiful music, but nobody was ever brave enough to find out what she was doing.

"And if I can?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I will be truly impressed.  I'll accept my defeat," he said.  I wasn't buying it. "Okay fine...I'll break up with Bethany," he said with a smile.  Oh, so her name is Bethany....It was no secret that he was using her.  I wasn't saying I agreed with him, but it was his decision, not mine.  I was surprised that he even proposed this as an option. 

"And if I can't...." I said.  

"You can't ask another girl out for the rest of the school year.  No flirting, no dating, no nothing.  I know that will be hard for you, but think of it as a favor.  I'm only trying to save you from rejection," he said, grinning evilly. I nodded.  It was February, so even if I lost, I didn't need to last long.  I held out my hand, and he slapped it.  We shook on it.

Now...... I had to make Jordan Ainsworth fall for me.

****************************************

Jordan's POV:  (After Ray found Jordan in the auditorium)

The rest of the day dragged on.  Not that I usually pay attention in class, but today I was totally zoned out.  I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that I had talked to somebody.  It felt weird.  It was almost like I had a secret.  It was like I broke my own personal law by interacting with someone.

It didn't help that I had social studies with Ray next period.  My last class of the day.  My only class with him.  

I walked through the door, and took my usual seat in the back of the classroom.  I stared at the back of his head, silently cursing him for talking to me.  Something felt off.  My heart would race at random times when I'd think about it.  I'd get all nervous, and start blushing randomly.... It wasn't... me....  I tried telling myself that it was just the memory of stage fright, but I felt like there was something else behind that.  It wasn't the same feeling as stage fright.

I remember my teacher babbling on about a project of some sort... Something about black history month since it was February... Something about a ten page written report, some sort of visual concept, about something.... I was too busy trailing off in my own thoughts.  

The only time I payed attention was when she mentioned something about class partners.  I was prepared to be humiliated again by being the only person in the class without a partner.  I was always the one that ad to work alone.  It was so awkward.

She went through some people, allowing them to pick with whom they wanted to work with.

"Ray?" the teacher asked, raising her eyebrows.   Her glasses sat on the edge of her nose, like a librarian.  Her hair was tied up in a neat bun.  Her hair was gray, and she had a lot of wrinkles in her face.  She was thin, and always wore ugly sweaters, like it was Christmas all year round.  She was the moodiest teacher in the school. We knew her by Mrs. Berwick.  Her name has a nasty ring to it, doesn't it?  The only thing most kids liked about her was that she let you choose your own project partners.

 "I'll work with Jordan," he said, turning around, and flashing me a smile.  Everyone looked at him strangely, and Mrs. Berwick raised her eyebrows higher, if that was even possible.

"Okay," she said, and wrote our names down.  I had to try hard not to drop my jaw.  Nobody ever wanted to work with me.  Never.  HE wanted to work with me.  The only person I've ever talked to in this school, would rather work with me than with one of his friends.  It didn't make sense.  What did he want from me.

After the bell rang, I grabbed my things, thanking God that I had survived another day of high school.  But Ray stopped me on my way out.

"I'm looking forward to working with you doll face,"

___________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hey! Chapter 3 is over!  Do you hate Raymond already?  Don't worry, I swear you will like him by the end of the story.  Oh this is gonna be so cheesy and predictable!!b Yay! Don't forget to vote/comment!

-Cheesy Writer