Chapter 8

Behold... the cursed Gerard/Edward face swap. It actually doesn't look too bad the longer I look at it, but correct me if I'm wrong and going crazy.

____

"As I burn another page, as I look the other way, I still try to find my place in the diary of Jane. So tell me how it should be."
— 'The Diary of Jane', Breaking Benjamin.

The stares Frank and Gerard received during their walk to class were nearly insulting. Almost as if they couldn't believe Gerard bid Frank of all people the time of day, one of the most ordinary human beings to walk the earth. On another hand that looked through the glass in an outsider's perspective, Frank concluded he wouldn't stare, but he would be baffled if he witnessed the same scene. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary about himself apart from the strange ability he possessed naturally, apart from the near fatal accident taking place on school grounds what felt like an entire year ago if Frank added into perspective how things had changed since then. Gerard wasn't blatantly displeased by Frank's presence anymore, a good sign, but also a mind boggling one Frank wouldn't be able to figure out for the rest of his days. Frank wondered how he could sleep peacefully during the following nights now that he was being entirely intoxicated by an individual he once believed was better to avoid.

With their desks within such close proximity, despite the small strip of space between the surfaces, Frank became aware of the lack of distance in a way he hadn't before. Nerves ricocheted throughout his body like the embers remaining from explosive fireworks and his heartbeat was the crashing drums of a parade surfing through streets once packed, now barren of signs of life. Frank had gotten used to invisible barriers threatening to freeze any living thing daring to come close enough to so much as graze the surface. Now that there was no such thing existing between them, Frank was flustered by the continuous glances Gerard flung his way, the fidgeting movements when Gerard was once practically a block of stone plastered to a seat. By the way his body language and tension bundled together intensely enough for Frank to sense it, Frank smugly assumed Gerard was also affected by his presence, the way Frank was affected by his.

It was strangely ego boosting to know a being as unreachable as Gerard Way would react to Frank's presence beside him in a way that wasn't negative. A spark of enthrallment cascaded through Frank's body and he cupped a loose hand around his blushing cheek to mask his flush, leaning forward on the desk for his elbow to rest comfortably. Frank took in a deep breath through his nose, containing the smallest smile threatening to curl at his lips, before he caught himself. He shouldn't have been smiling over a case that prior to their conversation at lunch practically nauseated him from the discomfort and the density of the unknown preying on his ever-twisting mind puzzling over every move Gerard made. Frank cleared his throat discreetly and pressed his lips together to wipe the smile from them, but he was certain it hadn't gone unnoticed. He met the eyes of a few classmates twisting around a bit in their seats to glance over their shoulders at him seated beside Gerard and he huffed quietly with annoyance.

"When will the interrogation process begin?" Gerard's voice became softer and more fluid when it was quieted to preserve his and Frank's privacy.

Frank's hand fell away from his cheek and he sighed, turning to meet Gerard's eyes silently dreading the influx of questions he knew were headed towards him. Frank found himself chuckling slightly at it.

"It's not an interrogation. I'm not like you." Frank kicked his backpack between his legs under the desk to keep it out of the way of someone approaching the front of the classroom to throw something away.

"I don't interrogate." Gerard's brows furrowed.

"You've grilled the fuck out of me twice." Frank's eyes swept around the classroom as he lowered his voice. "Our opinions clearly differ."