Chapter 14

MEADOW SCENE MEADOW SCENE MEADOW SCENE MEA-

——

"As the sun hits, she'll be waiting, with her cool things and her heaven. Hey, hey lover, you're still burning. You're his song." 

— 'When the Sun Hits', Slowdive.

The sunlight reflected off Gerard as though he was weaved together from the most ethereal crystalline substance known to man. His skin presented a film of thousands of diamonds ground into fine powder and instilled into his flesh, making a masterpiece out of him whenever he stepped into the sun. The glistening of it against his porcelain complexion instantly reminded Frank of angels, thinking Gerard bared a resemblance in multiple ways, but the jewel-like appearance of his skin ultimately earned him the title of a living, breathing angel in Frank's eyes. 

Frank was speechless. He had no idea how to convey the admiration and wonder he gave into. It was either gaze on in a state of silence or give the utmost adulation. He was once mesmerized by the meadow, now the beauty almost seemed dimmed in comparison to Gerard who had rolled his sleeves up in order for Frank to drink in more of the otherworldly radiance of his skin. Frank had no clue how Gerard would ever fear something like this could possibly draw him away. If anything, it filled him with the desire to be closer than ever, running his fingers along Gerard's skin to discover if it all felt smooth or if he'd be able to feel the texture of diamonds within his flesh. 

It wasn't until Gerard was near that Frank broke out of the temporary enchantment resting over his mind. Gerard was incredibly cautious, watching each of Frank's movements and facial expressions. His hesitation wasn't strong enough to prevent him from resting his hand gingerly within Frank's that remained held out to him the entire time. Frank was almost startled by it, but he instantly made everything about his demeanor as welcoming as possible so Gerard wouldn't tear away from him unexpectedly. 

Frank's eyes fell down to Gerard's perfect hand held still in his. He could see the colorful reflections flashing among the pure white, a luminosity Frank was beginning to believe didn't even exist in the priceless jewel he took after. The coolness of his skin only doubled the effect that Gerard was delicate and any sudden movement could splinter and shatter his exquisiteness. 

Frank's lips fell open and he could only murmur one thing. "You're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." 

When Gerard's hand vanished, Frank's heart physically hurt. He looked up to find Gerard had taken a step back, shaking his head in disapproval. 

"Don't you understand, Frank? It's all an illusion. Something to lure people like you in so it's much easier to tear into you." Gerard's strangled voice wordlessly advised him to keep his distance. 

Frank's face fell. "You're not using it to lure me in."

"I may not be, but it doesn't make it any less difficult to see you fall under some sort of spell when you look at me." Gerard's self loathing came to the surface and broke out a serious of spindly icicles guarding his internal meadows that looked identical to the one they'd found. Frank was pained by the unexpected lashes, flinching away. 

"This isn't superficial." Frank's voice came out broken. "The reason I love you is not just because I think you're beautiful, it's more than that and you know it is." 

Gerard's eyes were pained. "No . . . no, Frank. I just can't make sense of it no matter what becomes of us, no matter the way we feel about each other. Everything about myself is essentially a trap. This covers up the monstrosity of what I really am."