MIA

"NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE!" It was our third day protesting, things were starting to get a little bit more crazy, police started to get whoever they wanted for no reason. There was more force, more tear gas being thrown and more violence.

As we marched along the streets, sound of a gunshot echoed through the crowd.
I turned towards my best friend with a questioning look.
"Mia, just leave it. You don't know who or why that shot rang and don't want to be caught in the middle of everything".
Lexi was cautious of all her surroundings, she was brave enough to protest three days with us but I could see the fear and anxiety taking its toll on her body. We were all so tired and the police could see our spirits start to weaken.

"Let me just go check it out, and we'll take a break and head back home." I promised.
As we ran towards where we thought we heard the gun shot I saw a dark figure turn the corner of the street ahead.
"That way". We ran towards to the street not expecting what was ahead of us.
That dark shadow we saw before was a tall person dressed in all black kneeling over a man who was laying in a pool of his own blood.
I could hear lex puke and scream my name as I rushed towards the bleeding mans side.
Searching for a pulse, with blood starting to coat my hands, the man in the armour grabbed them and with a muffled breathe spoke "I've already checked there's no pulse. But what you need to do is get an ambulance. Don't call, you want be able to get through."
"And where are you going? I asked knowing this man was not just about to leave me here with a bleeding out body.
"I'm right here now do as I say before the rest of this walk way is coated in blood".
In that instant my adrenaline kicked in and I realised the blood all over my hands, staring at them shaking I slowly turned my head around to look for lex who was leaning against a pole crying. The tears slowly started to spring out the corners of my eyes and my vision became a blur of red.
"Listen to me!" He grabbed onto my hands with his gloves, moving my hair of my sweaty face. I could hear him talking but the red fog extended to my brain like a blur.
I thought I was seeing triple of him till I came back to myself and realised two others had joined us.
"Riot we need to leave, you know if you get caught here the cops will find a way to pin this on you." A female spoke, her voice was strong and assertive.
I could tell whatever was going on he was assessing the situation.
"Come on man get up I'll tip the ambulance off as we leave". The second man spoke.
What felt like a one side stare off with me trying to look for this mans eyes through this face mask and helmet, ended with him standing up and three of them getting up to leave.
"Just wait here we'll tip off someone to come help" with that he walked away not before looking back at the situation one last time. This time I wasn't searching for his eyes I knew he was staring right back at me.