#5 Shirt Change

I start running to take cover. I can't see much because of the heavy rain.

For a split second, the lightning shows me a bus stop. It's better than the open road.

I chose the wrong night for a movie.

The past few days after school I've been staying out by myself, far from my packland. Because I'm Claire's alibi.

Thankfully, Ben woke up in the morning after Claire stayed with him. But his wound didn't heal fully and he has to stay bedridden for longer than we thought. Claire visits him every day after school.

Claire and I are always together. If people saw me alone day after day, they'll start asking questions about where Claire is. That's why if one of us vanishes so will have to the other.

Ben told me I could hang out at the apartment with Claire but I didn't want to.

Luke is there.

Luke, Jake, and a couple other guys keep watch in that run-down building.

I check my phone again. The 4G signal is still weak. I've been trying to book an Uber but the internet is too slow. I call Claire.

"Hey, I'm stuck in rain. Book a cab for me," I tell her before letting her know which bus stop I am in. I don't want her to come. She deserves every second she could get with Ben because she starts to get angsty if she doesn't see him for long. Seeing her mate wounded has done something to her. I just hope the effect is not permanent.

I rub and comb through my hair with my fingers to help it dry. Despite running fast, I got partially soaked.

After ten minutes, I decide to call Claire again. Why is it taking so long for a cab to come?

Then I see the headlights. The car halts before the bus stop and honks. I rush to get in the backseat but the door doesn't open. I go to the front to ask the driver to open the door. The passenger seat window rolls down. Luke says, "Get in the front."

In an instant, I jump back into the bus stop. What the?

I asked for a cab! Why would she send Luke? WHY??? I'm not getting into a tight, closed space with him!!!

He honks.

"Call a cab for me," I shout.

For a second, I get no response from him. No honking, nothing.

Then I see his car door open.

Oh no! no no no no no no nooooooooo! Please, no. Don't come into my sacred bus stop.

I move further back, as far as the dimensions of the bus stop would allow me. He cuts through the rain, barges into my sanctuary, grabs my arm (cue sparks running through my body), and drags me to his car. He opens the door, pushes me in, and closes it.

While he's walking across the front of the car to the driver's side I get the urge to reopen the door and run away. And I would've done it if I'd the confidence that I could outrun a Beta.

He gets in and wipes his face with his hand. The heavy rain didn't spare him too.

"Look what you did," he says tousling his hair.

He looks at me. I'm glued to the door at this point. He sighs.

Then he opens the trunk of his car from inside and gets out. He comes back with a small duffel bag that he throws on my lap before getting in.

He opens the bag, takes out a towel, and throws it over my still-in-shock head before taking another towel and starts drying his hair with it.

Slowly, my limbs start to move. The warmth of the towel feels good. I wipe my face and squeeze the ends of my hair with it.

MATE AND HIS LOVER 3On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara