CHAPTER 3:Work, Work and Work!

Henry's eyes were opened by the single beam of light entering the dark room through the narrow slit between the pair of curtains. He had woken up before the alarm call. He went downstairs and saw Mr Alex dressed in formals and he looked in a haste. Next moment Mr Alex's eyes fell on Henry who was trodding downstairs with half-opened eyes. "Why have you woken up so early? Go have some more sleep" said Mr Alex. As Henry just spoke, his words were cut by Mrs Edevane, "And what if he wanted to get up early? Don't force him honey! Today Henry will help me with the household, isn't it Henry?"she said turning her pale white face towards Henry, her lips slowly twisting at the corners. Henry didn't remembered making any such promise but still he nodded his head in agreement. "Come Henry!" Said Claira, her brown eyes shining. She took him in the kitchen and handed him a toothbrush. "There you go dear! You've to scrub the floor of the kitchen" said Claira, her face not at all reflecting a bit of what she said just now. Henry was totally confused, "How can...." " No, you can. Infact a toothbrush cleans the best!" interjected Claira, leaving Henry open-mouthed and locked the door from outside. Henry was flabbergasted at the awkward behavior of Mrs Edevane. He seemed to be more like compelled instead of requested. There was no other way and if there was then Henry was too innocent to think of any. He moved the toothbrush on the floor. The work seemed to be endless. Sweat rolled down his forehead. His silky hair we're drenched in his own sweat. He still wasn't able to figure out why actually he was doing this. Outside the kitchen was covered in horrible silence. The only voice that he could hear was of his scrubbing. Soon his wrist ached, his tired muscles forced him from moving hands.

Henry stood up to wet up his mouth as his desiccated throat prevented him from continuing the work. At the same time the door of the kitchen opened with hardly any noise and there stood Mrs Edevane with a vicious smile on her face. Henry had never seen that smile of hers. Although he had just got up to have some water, his chest felt heavy and his heart pounded faster due to an unknown fear.
"What are you doing?" snapped Mrs Edevane with narrowed eyes as if she had caught a thief red handed. Henry murmured in defence but his tongue swallowed the words back. "Well, that's not how you scrub floor!"snapped Claira emphasizing on 'scrub' in a sarcastic tone. Henry stood dumbfounded. Mrs Edevane curled up her fingers into wrists, clenching her jaws.

"You look rather bored with this job"exclaimed Claira, her brown eyes flickering from sunlight. "I have a much better work for you"said Claira with a sly smile. "Come with me" said Claira and turned towards the front door. Henry just didn't want to follow her but couldn't resist the kitchen anymore, so he followed her, still dressed in his night clothes, which were now wet from soap water. Mrs Edevane showed him to the backyard. The hedges were very intricately cut, the potted flowers of various colors blooming with their full might and various other varities of plants that Henry had never seen before.

"The backyard looks so untidy. You just have to clear out the weeds" said Mrs Edevane, her smudge less face now bright in sunlight with a charming smile, as if burdening Henry with orders gave her some calming joy.