twenty-one

"that was so badass! i don't think i've ever seen you that angry! except for that one time jimin stole your food."

yoongi had been ranting about your speech for the past 10 minutes. you giggle and smile wide at him, thanking him again. his face lights up like a christmas tree with a realization, an he turns to you with such an enthusiasm that he really does look like a child on christmas.

"jeongguk's birthday!" you look at him dumbfounded as he slaps his own forehead. "jeongguk's birthday is tomorrow, fuck how could i forget? this will be perfect! i can tell everybody i quit my job there!"

"yoongi that's brilliant! honestly though, jeongguk comes off more as a pisces."

"hey, i'm a pisces."

the drive to yoongi's apartment was filled with laughs and playful bickering. yoongi had never felt freer talking to you, blasting music with the windows down, screaming lyrics coming from the speakers.

it was the way you smiled when you laughed, it was the way you closed your eyes when you felt happy. yoongi couldn't help but feel fireworks when you looked at him that way, but he wasn't stupid.

yoongi knew he was falling in love with you.

and you knew it too.

.

jeongguk's party came faster than you realized. namjoon, seokjin, and jeongguk were all surprised that yoongi was actually coming, which made yoongi want to cry. had he been so distant that he made his friends think he wouldn't bother to come celebrate their birthdays?

"yoongi, lets go!" you stood by the front door in a satin, rich purple dress. your hair was up in a crown braid, and your eyeshadow was gold. yoongi walked down the stairs, clad in a light blue button-up that was tucked into denim jeans, hair slightly curled. he wore a tad of bronze eyeshadow and had put in multiple dangly earrings. he looked at your outfit and stopped walking, breath hitching.

"wow, y-you look beautiful." he stuttered and you blushed, slipping on a pair of black heels.

just friends.

"t-thank you. we are required to have more formal outfits just in case we go out to celebrate a show or something." you explain while yoongi stares at how the dress accentuates your waist and exposes your collarbones.

"well? let's go." you say and yoongi nods and smiles. you both climb into his car, yoongi putting his lyrics book and jeongguk's present in the back.

the drive was mostly silent, save for the quiet music coming from the speakers and the sound of the car driving. jeongguk's house wasn't that far from yoongi's, and they arrived within 15 minutes. yoongi's nerves spike for what feels like the hundredth time this week as you and him walk up to the front door. you lock your pinky with his and he smiles down at you before ringing the doorbell. jeongguk answers the door in basically the same clothes as yoongi, except he's wearing a red shirt and whitewashed denim jeans.

"hey guys, come on in!" you and yoongi are lead into the living room where you see probably more than 15 people talking and drinking. jeongguk leads you and yoongi to a group of people and introduces you.

"guys, this is y/n, y/n this is yeonjun, beomgyu, taehyun, changbin, seungmin, jennie, lisa, jihyo, and hwasa." jeongguk gestured to the group of girls and guys that were all standing together and you waved, a gesture they return with smiles. "and as you've already met, namjoon and seokjin."

"nice to finally meet you, y/n." seokjin walks forward with a sly smile and lifts your hand up to kiss it. you look beside you and yoongi is clenching his jaw, arms crossed. when seokjin lets go you intertwine your pinkies again, reassuring him.

just friends.

"hey lovebirds!" you groan as you hear jimin's voice, who pretends to be offended. taehyung and hoseok right behind him. "come here to tell us the date?"

you turn around to look at jimin, who is smirking. "what date?"

"your wedding date."

jimin smirks and high-fives taehyung, who yells, 'daaaamn that was smooth.' you want to retaliate, but opt to keep your mouth shut.

just friends.

after a while, yoongi decides it's time to drop the bomb.

"hey gguk, can i give you your birthday present now?" it was now just jimin, hoseok, taehyung, jeongguk, namjoon, seokjin, and you and yoongi now.

"sure hyung!" yoongi smirked and dropped his resignation papers into jeongguk's hands. "uhm, I'm really flattered you think i'm smart, but i don't think i'm capable of doing your work for you." yoongi sighed.

"just look at the papers, brat."

namjoon's eyes widened as he looked over jeongguk's shoulder to read it.

"a-are, are these resignation forms? hyung, did you quit your job?" namjoon asks, and everybody went silent. you smile proudly.

just friends.

"i'm going to join you and become a producer, joon." yoongi also brought out his lyric book and gave it to namjoon, whose eyes widened with tears.

"you really mean it hyung? no more of that shitty job?" jeongguk asked with teary eyes, looking up at yoongi pitifully.

"yeah gguk, no more of that shitty job."

everybody whooped and hollered, getting more drinks to celebrate.

"how did your dad take it?" seokjin asked, sipping on wine, and yoongi chuckled, wrapping an arm around your waist and pulling you against him.

just friends.

"i think y/n shut him up pretty well."

just friends.