Chapter 101 - The Gaunts

Start from the beginning

 "Actually, Mr Gaunt it was your son I needed to speak to," Ogden said hotly, "That is Morfin?" The two went back and forth until, finally, Gaunt let him in the house. Al and Dumbledore followed him in, looking round. It was as dirty and decrepit as the outside, perhaps even more so. Morfin sat in the chair, twiddling a snake between his fingers, and a girl stood by a grimy stove. Gaunt introduced her as his daughter, Merope, who turned around and ignored any comment made towards her.

 "Voldemort's Ma?" Al guessed, and Dumbledore gave her a stiff nod.

 "I'm here," Ogden said, "Because last night Morfin performed magic on a muggle." Merope dropped a pan and Gaunt shouted at her. "Mr Gaunt, please!" She tried to pick it up with her wand and it cracked in two. Gaunt told her to mend it but before she got the chance, Ogden did it instead.

 "Lucky the nice man's here," Gaunt said, "Maybe he doesn't mind filthy squibs..." Merope scurried away to a corner with her back against the wall, and Al couldn't help but feel sorry for her, even if she did create the greatest monster ever made.

 "Mr Gaunt, your son has broken wizarding law," Ogden said, producing a scroll.

 "What's this, a sentence?" Gaunt asked.

 "A summons for a hearing-" Ogden began.

 "Summons?" Gaunt asked, apparently astounded, "Summons? Do you know who I am?" He raised his fist at Ogden, and Al thought for a moment he was going to punch him, but then she saw the ring on his hand. A black stone with something carved into it. The ring Dumbledore had. "Do you know how much this is worth?" It had to be a horcrux.

 Gaunt went over to the corner and dragged Merope to where Ogden was stood by something around her neck, almost choking her. "Do you see this? Slytherin's!" Al peered at it and saw a locket. That was probably a horcrux too. He released Merope, who stumbled away. "Generations of wizards - all purebloods!" And he spat at Ogden's feet. Al's face contorted into something of pure disgust, and she looked up to Dumbledore, who wore one that was similarly grim.

 "That is beyond the point," Ogden said, "Our information is that Morfin attacked a muggle, causing him to come out in hives."

 "So what if he did?" Gaunt said.

 "This discussion is getting us nowhere," Ogden said, putting the scroll away. He told them of the time and date of the hearing, only stopping when the sound of voices and horse-hooves came outside. The voices spoke of the shack, in disgust that mirrored Al's own, and soon another hissing conversation broke out between Gaunt and Morfin. Although, they were looking at Merope.

 Suddenly, Gaunt launched at Merope, and Ogden used magic to force him away from her. Morfin ran towards Ogden, firing curses, and soon Ogden was running down the shack and down the country lane. Dumbledore grabbed Al's elbow and they shot up and away from the ground.

 And then Al was in Dumbledore's study, feeling slightly queasy from what she'd witnessed. "Bloody hell," Al said.

 "Quite," Dumbledore responded, sitting down opposite her. "What did you think?"

 "That ring was a horcrux?" Al asked, indicating Dumbledore's hand, "You've destroyed it?"

 "I have," Dumbledore said.

 "It was hidden in the shack? That's where your hand was cursed?" Al guessed. No one in their right mind would leave a bit on their soul somewhere so physically unprotected, without magical involvement.

 "It was," Dumbledore said simply.

 "I think that locket must be another horcrux," Al said, "But it explains a lot. I couldn't imagine growing up there. With only Gaunt and Morfin, Tom Riddle." Al shuddered. "But...Tom Riddle was a muggle...how did Merope-?"

 "Gaunt and Morfin were arrested and sent to Azkaban. During this time, Merope ran off with a bewitched Tom Riddle. Gaunt returned to only a note and a thick pile of dust. Soon, the enchantment wore off, or Merope took it off, and Riddle returned with tales of bewitchment." He finished, looking solemn.

 "So Voldemort only ever knew his Ma?" Al asked.

 "Alas, she died in childbirth," Dumbledore said.

 "So he never knew any of his family?" Al said.

 "You pity him?" Dumbledore guessed.

 "No," Al said, "I could never. But if he'd met his family...no, he'd probably have turned out the same. If it's fear that controls him and not love, he's beyond any kind of hope."

 Dumbledore nodded solemnly. "That concludes today," he said, standing up and Al did the same, "Same time next week? But I would like to meet in the Charms classroom."

 "Yes, Sir," Al said, before leaving to find Daphne and Theo before dinner.