Chapter 10 - Quite the pair

Start from the beginning

"Is there something wrong?" he asked, as he put the pan in the pre-heated oven. "Nope. How long to we wait for, now?" I asked, as I made my way to the sink. Setting the timer, the mafioso told me we had about 30 to 40 minutes until it was done. Humming in response, there was a comfortable silence, while the music played in the background as we did the dishes.

"Alda, can you dance?" Asked Bruno out of nowhere. Handing him the last clean thing, I shook my head with a nervous laugh. "I'll admit, I'm not the greatest dancer. Like at all." I said lightly, raising a brow before asking, "Why this question?" I enjoyed those small discussion, it made the situation in which we were slightly more normal. If I didn't have a gash in my leg, I could even think it's just a normal day, hanging out with a friend, having fun baking.

Taking off his apron, I mimicked his action, he seemed nervous which was not common for him. "The ball is reserved for members of the Passione Famiglia." He started, folding his apron as he set it down. "Which means if you want to come, you'll have to be someone's plus one." He continued, taking my hand in his. "I would gladly have you as my plus one if you'd like, cara." He admitted, smiling shyly.

Oh, oh. That I could do. Nodding with a weak blush on my cheeks, "Of course! I couldn't imagine it without you," I said casually, trying my best to not think to much about the situation. It was not going to be a date, it was just the only solution for me to attend with them, it's the smartest way since Bruno is my bodyguard, yeah... yeah it's that. "Good, then we'll have to start on those dancing lessons soon." He said, placing my left hand on his right shoulder as his other hand took hold of my free one.

Finally setting right hand on my waist, he brought me closer. "What- what are you doing? I told you I didn't dance-" I tried to pull away, with little effort because although I was a bad dancer, part of me wanted to stay, see where this went. "You'll be attending the ball as a Capo's plus one, people will be expecting a dance from us." He explained, tightening his hold on my waist to stop me from pulling away.

"No way, I'm not- I swear, I have two left feet." Maybe using common sense and excuses would work and he'll just find someone else for that dance. I would feel sad if he did but, no way in hell I'd dance. At the exact moment Bucciarati moved us to the center of the kitchen, there was a change of music and something slower started playing. Saying I was tensed was an understatement, I holding myself straighter than a plank and I couldn't seem to find the tempo.

Bowing to reach my ear, Bruno whispered "It'll be easier if you let me take the lead, cara." Avoiding his gaze by observing our feet, which steps to take, I mumbled, "Easier said than done, I've never danced a slow before." We're close, too close, I thought in panic. A soft understanding 'ah' escaped the mafioso's lips, suddenly I gasped as I was pulled back, the only thing holding me back from falling was Bruno's strong arms. "Perhaps tango would be more your forte?" He suggested in a low tone, his face closer to my face than it was earlier.

"Nope, no way, nuh uh. Waltz it is, yep." I said, holding tighter onto Bruno to pull myself up. At this point my face was probably redder than anything, I have to calm down. Taking deep breaths, I closed my eyes and with time I slowly calmed down. We swayed on the kitchen floor a while, in silence. Progressively I got better, not the best but at least I had stopped stepping on his toes which must have been a relief for the man.

The tension having gradually left my body, I hesitantly put my head on Bruno's torso. Is it too bold? I shouldn't have done that. Now it's too inti- my internal monologue was interrupted when I felt Bruno's cheek against my hair, then felt his hand move from the side of my hip to hold my waist. His hold felt more like a hug than dancing, it was comfortable, if that's what we were supposed to do at the Ball then I'm pretty I could do it. Being in his embrace shooed all my problems away, it was soothing, it was warm, it was perfect.