PROLOGUE

Sunlight.

I have always loved that. I loved how the sun was my wake up call every morning whenever it hit my eyes. The heat that touches my skin when I'm out in the sea. The lively color of my hair that becomes emphasized with the sunlight each time it struck into it.

I loved it, not until that day happened.

It was still so fresh to me. It was still so bright in my mind. It haunted me... Because of love.

Love that can be both painful and sweet.

I was always realistic. I was never the person that was stuck with the idea of love that was supposed to be about exploring and being chained to each other all the time. Kasi hindi ganoon 'yon.

Because if I'm chained, it's not a relationship, it's not love... it's prison. You deserve a love that is freeing, not enduring. I'd like to believe that.

Somehow, I was enduring. I was oblivious. I was left out. I was there, but not exactly.

Because at some point... that's how he made me feel.

"One chocolate mint latte, please."

That was the drink he taught me to make. He was a barista. The best barista for me, both coffee shops and bars. The barista with flavors so simple yet addicting. Flavors that make you feel different emotions, and sometimes make you walk to different seasons.

"My favorite color's beige. My favorite flowers are sunflowers. Some things I also love are books, beaches, baking and making drinks."

Back in square one.

Why did I have to go back to square one?

From planning my whole future with someone, to going back to telling my favorites.

"I'm not really a fan of the beach. Naiirita ako sa buhangin. I honestly prefer spring over summer," my date contradicted my most favorite.

"How about surfing? Have you tried it? Do you like it?"

"Surf? No. Anything beach-related is not really my thing. Sorry."

He was one of the best surfers in the island. He was full of passion. The tides he rode were as wild and free as him. The way the waves curls inside-out reminds me of the little curls of his hair.

"Hindi ako mahilig makipag-socialize. Hindi ako magaling doon."

I tried to hide my smile. He was an extrovert, super loud. He never knows when to shut up. He never run out of topic. It always made me laugh how he tried to be logical in the most illogical conversation thrown out.

This date wasn't going to work. I kept on telling myself that it would, but it was all just a lie. Just like the other guys my friend's tried to set me up with to help me move on. All of them were nowhere near him. Ang layo. Sa hilig, hitsura, pananalita, pananamit. Lahat. They had nothing in common.

Hindi ba dapat gusto ko nang ganoon para mas madali siyang makalimutan? A breath of fresh air, perhaps.

Love for me was hard to find again because here I am still choosing to be stuck in my past. It won't work... because I keep on finding the little things about him in someone else when I can only find it in him.

"Ugh! Esme, get over it! Move on. Forget!" Pinokpok ko ang ulo ko gamit ang aking palad para matauhan.

Naglakad-lakad ako sa dalampasigan para maiba ang iniisip. Dinama ko ang hangin at ang tama ng araw sa balat ko.

"Beautiful sunlight," I whispered, looking up the orange sky with a hand blocking the top of my eyes.

Kahel. Iyon ang paborito kong kulay ng langit. It gives that gentleness and warmth we crave for, just like what we crave when we're in love.