chapter 10: candy-coated lies

Start from the beginning

"Neither should you assume that they're not up to no good and put them so close to you as well," Jungkook said matter-of-factly. "I'm just trying to protect myself, hyung. Am I wrong to do so?"

"That's not what I'm saying, Jungkook-ah... I'm just asking you to maybe give her a chance, not even for a year, we can just give her a trial of one week...? If she doesn't meet our requirements then, you don't even need to say a word, we'll fire her immediately. For all you know, after one week, without us even doing anything, she won't be able to stand you anymore and will decide to quit her job? You never know, am I right?"

Jungkook was silent for a while.

"Why don't you bring up that woman's ridiculous request to Yang sajang first?" Jungkook asked after some time, trying to push away the responsibility to his fussy boss. "I'm sure he'll have a lot to say about this as well. There's no way someone like him will agree to this so easily. Well... if he agrees to it, I'll agree too."

"Okay then, it's settled-" Seokjin said with a smile. "Lee Jieun will start work as soon as possible."

It took Jungkook three whole seconds to register what his ears had heard. "Wait, what?"

"Do you really think I was asking for your permission before consulting Yang sajang, Jungkook-ah?" Seokjin chuckled. "You should know by now how fussy Yang sajang is with all his staff. Of course I'd consult him first before asking you for your opinion."

Jungkook was stunned.

"You're right about him being a tough nut to crack," Seokjin said cautiously. "But you forgot one major characteristic of his that made him agree to Lee Jieun-ssi's condition readily - he would do anything just to cover up a scandal."

"Ironic-" Jungkook scoffed. "Since he was the one who insisted that I have a dating scandal with Jennie Kim."

Seokjin was at a lost for words.

"It is always like that," Jungkook ranted out loud, as tears formed in his eyes. "Be it the dating scandal months ago or this decision now, or be it every single little decision down to my hairstyle or my own private life, when have I ever gotten the chance to decide anything on my own?"

"I know it sucks, JK-" Seokjin sighed. "I hate it too, but this is the reality - the reality that cannot be changed. You have been in the industry for five whole years now, you should know by now that many things cannot be decided for on your own. That's what the management system is here for - to manage you. It's nothing new."

"I know it's nothing new, but I can't help but be a little disappointed in you, hyung-" Jungkook's voice was shaky as he spoke. "What's the point of asking me if the decision had already been made by the company? Hm, hyung? What's the whole point, huh?"

"I knew the company's decision, but I just wanted to find out about more about what you thought so that I could convince you to accept it-" Seokjin said with a frown. "I wasn't trying to poke fun at you or anything. I know my decisions may not be the best but I'm trying my best, JK. You know that, right?"

Jungkook was awfully silent.

Seokjin bit his lower lip, craning his neck to peer into the rear-view mirror to see what Jungkook's facial expression looked like. "I'm just trying to do my job to the best of my ability, Jungkook-ah. I may be your friend but don't forget that I'm also your manager, I have an important role to play-"

"Fine," Jungkook said, his voice sounding absolutely exhausted. "Go ahead."

Seokjin should have been happy in that moment, because he finally managed to convince Jungkook. That was what he was aiming for, wasn't he? But in that moment, the car came to a stop at the traffic junction. As Seokjin turned around to glance at Jungkook, he briefly caught sight of Jungkook's tear-streaked face, and his heart dropped.