Chapter 7

(Tw for this chapter for mentions of abuse, self harm, etc.)

Mike, after a few mintues of her not returning like he hoped she would, got on his bike and headed home. He hadn't meant to upset her at all and he felt like shit for having doing just that.

He was worried because he had no idea where she went. He didn't know if she was heading home or not. For all he could know she could be going to the quarry cliff to jump off and end her life. He knew she wasn't happy with her life so he wouldn't be surprised at all if she were to do that.

Once he got home he immediately went up to his room, his parents not noticing him come in since they were watching tv with the volume up loudly. He shut his door behind him and went over to lay down on his bed.

He brought a hand up to his head and rubbed it, trying to process all that had happened. He felt really bad but it was too late to fix it now.

He couldn't stop worrying about her. He kept trying to get her off his mind but just couldn't. It's because he was afraid of her dying. Since after all, he would care if she died.

He didn't hate her anymore so it's not like he wanted her to die. He still wanted to help her even though he felt she probably wouldn't want his help anymore.

He fell into a light sleep that he woke up from at least several times throughout the night, his mind not drifting off Max at all.

***

Max woke up to notice she was laying in the bathtub, her mom holding a towel wrapped around the arm she had cut. She rubbed her head a little before remembering what had happened.

"Oh good you're awake," her mother spoke softly as she offered Max a small reassuring smile. The smile only made Max feel worse.

Max lightly pried her moms hands off the towel and lifted it up so she could take a look at the damage she had done. It was no longer bleeding but it still looked really messy with dried and cacked blood and it still stung like hell. She winced before placing the towel back over it.

She looked up to notice that her mother was giving her a sad look which she hated. "What?" She asked, her tone sounding harsher than she intended it to sound.

Her mother frowned slightly before bringing a hand up to Max's face, brushing some of hair behind one of her ears. "Why did you do that?" She asked.

Max couldn't believe how oblivious her mom was. "Because Neil acts and treats me like he wants me dead so I wanted to see how he would react if I actually tried to kill myself," she replied in the simplest way she could.

Susan nodded slowly as she took in what Max said, frowning more. "Neil isn't a good guy mom. I wish you would realize that," she then said to her. She really wished her mom would divorce him and that he would leave.

"I'm sorry I didn't notice before," her mother replied pitifully. Max didn't accept her mother's apology at all because she knew she still wouldn't do anything to try and get rid of Neil.

Max only nodded at her mother's words as she looked away from her and said as she pressed her hand on the towel covering her hurting arm, "I can hold it for now on." That was her way of telling her mom to leave her alone.