chapter 8

That night Max went home and locked herself in her room, thinking about Mike again. She hated the fact that she had fallen in love with him but she couldn't bring herself to stop no matter how hard she tried. She found herself thinking more and more about him everyday.

She felt like her brain was going to explode from trying to keep up with all the thoughts in her head. She felt like she had lost the ability to speak, to anyone. Whenever asked a question or spoken to it felt like her tongue got tied up and she lost her breath. She would have too many other thoughts going on in her head that she wouldn't be able to understand what someone said to her and most certainly couldn't think of what to reply with.

She didn't believe in fate but she didn't think this should be happening. How could she, Max Mayfield be falling in love with Mike fucking Wheeler?

It seemed so wrong and out of the ordinary that she just felt there had to be something off, a flaw with her destiny or whatever. If she knew how to she would have controlled her feelings and made sure this never happened but she couldn't, so here she was, quickly falling in love with him with absolutely nothing to stop her.

Until she thought of an idea. She could get back together with Lucas and maybe that would distract her from her feelings towards Mike and she would fall for Lucas again. She seriously doubted it would work but she was desperate. She couldn't let herself be hopelessly in love with Mike. Especially since he had El.

She didn't want that type of pain, a pain called heartbreak. She hadn't ever experienced it before and she didn't want to though she felt it was a little too late for that. She just didn't want to continue experiencing it. It was truly awful, always getting a heavy feeling in your heart and feeling so sad just to even think about or talk to Mike when she didn't want to feel sad. It was like a different type of depression in a way, something she couldn't fully explain or even understand herself. Besides, this would be best so she wouldn't mess up Mike's relationship with El.

A part of her felt like she knew those two were only puppy love and weren't going to last much longer but she always reminded herself that was the part of her that wanted to be with Mike that thought that. She reminded herself that the two loved each other very much and were inseparable.

So one day she decided she would talk to Lucas. She spotted him at the arcade and approached him cautiously, already failing at trying to think of what to say. "Oh hey Max," he greeted with a small smile as he looked up from the game he was playing, he had just lost his last life causing the game to be over. She gave him a nervous smile back which Lucas thought was very odd.

Max was someone who hardly ever seemed nervous or anything of the sort so this was new and he didn't know what to think. Before Lucas could ask her if she was okay she just straight up asked him, wanting to get right to the point before she would chicken out, "Can we get back together again?"

Lucas gave her a bewildered look, definitely having not expected to hear that question come from her mouth. "Why?" He asked curiously. He genuinely wanted to know since this all seemed so random and sudden and he thought they had agreed they were better off as just friends.

Max tapped one of her feet impatiently, feeling her thoughts starting to go wild again and getting a headache. "I just would like to try again," she answered back, hoping it would be good enough for him. She was usually a good liar but at the moment she couldn't think of anything sustainable or believable.

Max gave him a hopeful look, really hoping he would say yes. She wouldn't know what she would do if he didn't. Luckily he agreed that they could try again and she nodded and smiled, feeling very relieved. "Thank you," she told him earnestly. He nodded back in return and gave her a small, still slightly confused look. He just found it hard to believe she wanted to try again with him.