Chapter 6

(Tw for this chapter; abuse and self harm)

Max didn't know where she was going, she just needed to get away from Mike. She still didn't want to go home but figured she should soon or else she would get in trouble for "disappearing".

Eleven was coming to Hawkins. It was simple news, news that she should be happy about. Her best friend was coming back. But she couldn't be happy about it with knowing that it had caused her to lose her safe spot, her only sense of comfort.

And she knew that El returning would also mess up her and Mike's growing friendship. Even if Mike swore it wouldn't or Max would try to keep it, it would get ruined. Somehow, some way. She couldn't help but think El would get jealous if she found out they had started becoming closer and that she would prevent them from talking to each other anyways.

Max didn't know if Mike had any intentions on trying to keep their friendship but she figured he didn't because once El would return she would become the only thing he would care about, he would probably completely forget all about Max and her awful home life.

She knew he wasn't trying to hurt her in any way and she understand why she couldn't come over anymore but it broke her, tore a hole in heart. She would now have to remain stuck at home or wander around in the dark whenever she wanted to get away. She was trapped now.

Without any comfort or place to feel safe she wasn't sure if she would be able to last. She had dealt with it fine before she got comfort from him and she realized maybe she had started to depend on him too much.

She really thought he would always be there and that she could go over to his house whenever and she couldn't believe she had been so naive. They were barely even friends so she was angry at herself for having ever thought that.

It had been a temporary thing like most good things in her life. Only the bad things have become permanent, like Neil and her growing depression.

When she had finally stopped running away from her problems and new worries she looked around to try and figure out where she was. She knew she couldn't be too far from the arcade.

She noticed she was by the quarry, the same quarry Mike and his friends thought they saw Will's dead body at a few years ago. She looked out into the water, studying it's darkness since it was only illuminated by the stars that were shining through the clouds. It had become quite cloudy and the moon was no where to be seen.

The place had an eerie feeling to it and Max got the chills which frightened her more than she would have liked. She quickly turned away from the water and headed back into the town, wanting to be anywhere but there.

She had stopped again when she got to her house. She sat down against the house by her window, not wanting to go in and listening for any signs of danger. She could tell Neil was home still because she heard his angry mutterings here and there and the sound of someone chugging what she could only guess was alcohol.

She brought her knees up to her chest and hugged them. She rested her chin on top of them as she stared ahead into the light of their neighbors house. She felt sorry for herself, knowing whatever kid that lived next door had a better life than her.

Max thought to herself, wondering why all this bothered her so much. She and Mike had only barely became friends so why did it matter to her so much if she couldn't get comfort from him anymore or if their friendship fell apart?