chapter 3

In the morning Mike woke up and still felt one of his arms wrapped around the broken red headed girl. He looked at her and noticed what a pretty sleeper she was when she was at peace. Her face seemed to be free of all pain and coldness and she looked, dare he think it, beautiful. The way her hair glistened in the sunlight that sprayed through the blinds added a magical aspect to her aura. He found himself smiling at the girl and he lifted up his arm that was around her waist up and brushed some of her hair back, tucking it behind her ear.

At this gesture she stirred a little and her eyes fluttered open to meet his. He was expecting her to be confused but instead she just smiled. "Good morning my savior," she said tiredly. Mike wasn't sure if she had purposely and consciously called him that name or not but he smiled anyways at it.

He then replied softly, "Good morning." He had been so tempted in that moment to call her princess or angel or something of the sort but refrained from doing so. He regretted it but didn't really know why.

They stayed there for a little bit, just looking into each other's eyes and feeling vulnerable without saying a word.

But the peace was broken when Mike's mother called, "Mike! Time for breakfast!" Mike groaned then said to Max, "if she knew you were here she would freak out. I'll have to make sure you get out without her noticing."

Max nodded as she sat up and rubbed her eyes, her colorful hair falling forward and into her face. "Stay here," he said as he got up and went to leave his room. Max nodded as he smiled at her before shutting the door and heading downstairs for breakfast.

Once he sat down at the dining table his mother said, "you must of gone to sleep early yesterday since I didn't see you when I got home." "Well you get home pretty late anyways," he mumbled back under his breath. He knew most of the time his mother was actually out drinking in the evenings and Holly was with a babysitter.

Karen sighed then asked him, "was the last day of school exhausting?" "Yeah," he said just to go with it so she wouldn't further question why he had gone to sleep earlier than usual.

Nancy wasn't home as she had left a few months prior to go and live with the Byers, had been having trouble living without Jonathan.

In that moment Mike realized how he missed El and felt bad and guilty that he had forgotten about her last night. Max had taken up all his thoughts last night but quite frankly, he wasn't mad about it.

He ate breakfast quietly as he watched his parents converse with each other and Holly pick at her food. Several times as he ate he snuck some food into his pockets so he could take it up to Max.

Once he finished breakfast he quickly washed his dish and silverware before rushing upstairs. He knew his mom would find his behaviour odd but he knew she probably wouldn't question it.

Once he got back in his room he noticed Max was asleep again, obviously had gotten bored while waiting for him to return. He shook her awake and she blinked a few times before looking at him and sitting up. He pulled a rolled up pancake from out of his pocket and offered it to her.

She gave him a disgusted look as she said, "You're crazy if you think I'll eat that." Mike sighed and said, "it's either this or nothing." "I'll just get something from the vending machime at the arcade on the way home," she said back simply as she shrugged. He nodded then said, "I was just trying to be nice." "I know. And I thank you for your generosity but I'm declining it," she said back as she gave him a bored look. Mike rolled his eyes a little as he sighed again, about to throw the pancake in his trash.