Chapter 5 - On edge

Start from the beginning

It's as we started eating, that I realized he had time to cook a whole meal while I was asleep and it made me feel bad. As a guest he shouldn't have had to do anything, but he had basically done most of the stuff a host had to do. And, given the time we went to sleep, I wondered, "Hey, did you get any sleep last night? I'm sorry I fell asleep during the movie" I told him apologetically, while enjoying the simple, yet delicious, eggs toast and bacon he had prepared.

I did feel bad for not waking up early enough to be a good host, but I also was relieved because my cooking skills were terrible. Giving me a reassuring, Bruno nodded "I was able to catch some sleep, the couch is not that uncomfortable with the right company." He said with a smile, while setting the napkin down on his lap. This time I kept my cool, I could not keep on reacting so strongly to everything he said, he'll be the death of me. Swallowing the food, I had in mouth, I replied "And yet you woke up pretty early, this won't do, you'll make me look like a bad host." Pointing him with my fork.

Laughing loudly, he held his hands in a defensive manner, "I apologize, it was not my intention." He started, setting his fork and knife on his now empty plate. I was quite surprised to see how fast he had finished his plate, but I did not eat any faster for that matter, seeing how clumsy I was I'd rather avoid choking on food. "My body is used to waking up so early; I did try to wake you up but it seems you were sleeping pretty well." He added the last part with a more implicit tone.

"I said what I said, I'm not going to be ashamed." I told him with a huff, if he planned on teasing me about it, I'd just have to own it at this point. Finally finishing my plate, I grabbed both our dirty plates and walked around Bruno to put them in the dishwasher. Once done, Bruno was sitting with his legs crossed on his seat, looking at me expectantly. "Alright, now that we're done reminiscing my glorious morning, I suggest we get ready." I started with a smile, grabbing my heels that were by the door I slipped them one, zipped them up and took my bag from the hanger.

"I would be tempted to go alone, but in the end, you'll look at me with a threatening look and join me anyway. So, let's go grocery shopping together, Capo." Casually leaning against the door, I waited for him to grab his long vest from his room. Come to think of it, he had the same suit as yesterday but it seemed less wrinkled... He did mention asking people to bring some change of clothes. Already feeling unsafe in my own home, I hope he gave my address to someone trustworthy.

It was pretty ironic that both of us wore long-sleeved clothing when the weather was so hot. I would only speak for myself when saying, I liked long-sleeved shirts because they weren't as toasty as sweaters, but not as chilly as t-shirt either; it meant that when comes the night, I'm perfectly fine, nor freezing nor too warm. Opening the door for Bruno to step outside, I grabbed my keys and locked the door behind us, checking that everything was properly locked a few times before turning towards the mafioso.

"There's a chauffeur waiting for us outside, he'll drive us to-" giving him a doubtful look, I shook my head, walking passed him towards the stairs. "We're not taking the car, it's barely a ten minutes' walk to the store." I announced, not leaving room for discussion. One of the main reasons I chose this apartment was how well situated it was, only a few bus stops from university and close enough to the store and many pubs also. Being under surveillance was not going to change my habits, even less take the car for sometimes so close by.

For a moment he seemed baffled by what I said, his expression quickly changed in a more impassive one after a few seconds. That man had a talent for making me blush, but I felt a certain pride in getting any sort of reaction out of him, may it be shock or laughter. After my remark, we went down the stairs in silence; once out of the building, Bruno went to the car to, probably, tell the chauffeur to leave for now. I couldn't quite hear what he said, but he's most likely told him that we didn't need him today, and to come back tomorrow see if anything changed.