Chapter 3 - Chi s'assomiglia si piglia

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Don't. Don't start, you can find someone attractive without falling for them. All I am saying is that he's too much, ok?" From an outside point of view, it might sound like I was having a crush on the Capo, but logically I could not have a crush after barely talking to the guy. The most rational way of handling the situation was to box those feelings towards the Capo as physical attraction and nothing else, which is what it was. Sitting on the counter, I took the plate my Zio had set down next to me and started eating in silence, not hearing much of what the gangsters were talking about.

With his arms crossed across his chest, a towel draped on his left shoulder, zío was deep in thoughts across from me by the counter. I couldn't help but wave a hand in front of him. "You good zío?" Coming back to reality, he giggled and stepped closer. He took my hands in his and whispered with playfulness in his eyes "Chi s'assomiglia si piglia, Alda. And you two seem quite alike." My eyes widened, those who look alike, end up with each other? Did he really just- that old man is the worst. "For fuck's- "pulling my hands out of his grasp, I send him a broad smile but still shook my head. "You are unbelievable! At this point I'm afraid you'd try to marry me off to Bruno Bucciarati." I said jokingly, finishing my plate before standing up and putting it in the dishwasher.

Walking to the door that led to the dining area I glimpsed at Benito, and brushed away the wrinkles of my working suit, "Off to check on my husband, give me strength old man." I said sarcastically, his response was to shrug before resuming his cleaning of the counter. Thinking back on how Benito reacted to my confession of finding the young gangster pretty hot, I knew he'd keep on teasing me; what I found surprising was that he was such a fan of him? No one would be supporting their almost daughter dating a criminal...

Last time I'll get in there for the evening, last batch of plates then no more mafiosos. I thought with relief, swinging the door open with a bit more strength than I meant to. "Shit-"lunging forward to grab the frame, I was stopped in my track when a slender hand grabbed it for me. You've got to be shitting me. Straightening my back, I put on a poker face and met the man's gaze. "Signore Bucciarati? I was about to come- is there a problem?" Although no one asked, I am feeling tired of being put in a situation with this gorgeous bastard. Every time he's too close, my heart starts pounding fast, I did not know if it was from fear or something else, but it was reasonable to think that having been threatened by the man less than an hour ago might make me uncomfortable.

"Good. We have business to discuss, if you would join us, Alda." He said, extending his arm towards the table that was now almost empty, only Giorno was left sitting. Oh right, his whole protection stuff... I thought he'd drop it. I'll sit, tell them I don't need it and leave. I followed him in his stroll, thinking about what he said- wait did he just- did he call me by my name? Putting my arm in front of him to stop him, he frowned slightly in response to my actions. "Please don't call me by my name, unless we're alone. I don't call you Bruno, do I?" I'm not going to lie, I didn't mind how my name sounded coming from his lips but we weren't friends or close on any level, so I'll have to tell him off for now. The others will have to call me Coda.

Unreadable as I always, Bucciarati nodded. "It sounds fair. However, I insist you call me Bruno, we're going to spend quite some time together, after all." He responded politely, before joining his Don at the table, waiting expectantly for me. Rushing to them, for a moment, I faltered, should I sit down next to the Don or his Capo? Or no one... no one is good. I pulled up the chair opposite of them and sat down straight or perhaps rigid was the word, the situation was a bit strange. Perhaps I was making a big deal out of nothing and they were actually just going to put someone near my house to watch over me?

Now deep in thoughts, I was staring blankly at the table. My brain was buzzing with theories, one of them being that they would not actually protect me but kill me, being a logical person, I crossed this one out of the list, knowing full well that I had done nothing to deserve their wrath like such. "Signora Coda?" Called the Don, his eyes focused on my person. "Oh, shit sorry, I was... hum... daydreaming? I'm sorry the situation is quite unusual, and I'll be honest with you, I am freaking out." I said in all honesty, rubbing my hand over my arm anxiously. Giorno let out a hearty laugh, surprising me along the way, "Bruno's right, you are very forward." He said, taking his glass of wine in hand as he glanced at his capo who was sitting with his legs crossed, a certain fondness written in his eyes.

"I apologize for any inconvenience we may have put you in today." Started the blond gangster, "You are important to Deangelo, he's family, so by extension you are important to us. Being that you're a stand user, you are now vulnerable to potential attacks from other stand users" He continued, resting his elbows on the table and leaning on his hands. "It makes no sense to attack me, I'm not part of the Passione famiglia. I'm sure they won't even notice I have Yesterday." I said in a convincing tone, resting my arms on the table as I started folding the napkin while paying attention to them.

Both men chuckled in response, which brought warmth to my cheeks in embarrassment. "Unfortunately, you can't use reason on criminals" Giorno added with a genuine smile, "A lot of stands in the Passione family were given by one of our, now dead, Capo under the command of the old Don. With this in mind, since the old Don died, people who are still loyal to him are tracking down every stand user they encounter believing they're Passione members." Leaning back on his chair, the young mafioso gave me a chilling look. "To put it simply, they'll test their loyalty; If their loyalty lies with me then they'll kill them."

Silence fell. Looking down at the crane-like folded napkin, my mind was trying to process how serious is all was. Even if my loyalty did not lie with the young mafioso, like they said, I could not reason with assholes, they would kill me anyway. I might as well trust him, and let him put his Capo on night-watch. I did rather like being alive for the moment, dying so young would be a waste... I thought calmly.

"It's a lot to process in one go. But it makes sense, so I'll accept your protection, though I have the feeling that even if I had not accepted you would have done it anyway." I said the last part with a small smile. Sighing in relief, Giorno stood up with an extended hand, "Then it settled, Bucciarati will be you bodyguard until the situation is handled." I shook his hand with a firm grip, then took a quick glimpse at the raven-haired man who was still sitting elegantly on the velour chair. Giorno let go of my hand and sat back down. "Now that we're done, I suggest you get your bag; Bucciarati will be accompanying you home." The way he said it made it sound like it was a suggestion, but I knew it was more of an order.

As she walked to the changing room, the Don was smirking at his Capo playfully. "I think she likes you Bruno, I think you're going to get along very well." To which Bruno scoffed in response, smiling softly.