bonus chapter (3)

Start from the beginning

The voice belonged to Oliver, who was running up the long drive way with a piece of paper in his hand. Behind him, Bucky Barnes was jogging to keep up.

"Did you pass?" Charlie yelled as she approached her brother. He handed her the piece of paper and she quickly read it over. "Oh my God! Congrats Olly, I'm so proud of you!" She yelled with a huge smile on her face.

She wrapped her arms around her little brother and gave him a kiss on the cheek, which he cringed at immediately and wiped it away.

"He got every question right." Bucky said as he greeted Charlie. Their kiss was brief, but still earned a grunt of disgust from the younger Grant.

"I can't believe my baby brother's street legal." Charlie cooed and pinched Oliver's cheeks.

"Better believe it sis. That means I'm gonna get a hot rod, and then I'll get all the boys and girls."

Charlie laughed. "Not before you get your actual license. A permit is only halfway there."

"Close enough." Oliver waved his hand. "Can we go practice? Please?"

Charlie looked at the time on her phone and then to Bucky, "What do you say?"

"I guess I can make some time."

Oliver cheered and grabbed the keys from Bucky's hand before he had time to react. "Yes! Let's go."

Charlie laughed as she watched him run back down the drive, where various cars were parked in the lot. Bucky's old classic car was parked with the top down - a car Bucky had spent months trying to find.

It reminded him of his old life.

"You sure you want him practicing on your baby?" Charlie asked.

"No. But he's so excited. I can't exactly say no." Bucky said with a laugh. He set his arm around Charlie's waist and they started walking together. "Besides, I'm not a very materialistic person."

Charlie rolled her eyes. "Except for that car. I barely drive it."

"You don't like driving it."

"Good point." Charlie laughed. "Thanks for taking him today."

"You don't have to thank me, Char."

She nodded and looked up at him for a second. Gratitude washed over her, like it did every day, that he was there, standing next to her, still with them. Even after six years she still felt it every day.

"I love you." Charlie said.

Bucky smiled and pressed a kiss to her cheek. "I love you too, Char."

When they got to the car Oliver was already setting the radio station and fixing the seat. Charlie went into the back seat and Bucky sat at the passenger seat.

She sat in the middle, unstrapped, and leaned forward. Her right arm was wrapped around the back of the passenger seat, and her fingers were playing with the side of Bucky's hair.

"What's the first step?" Bucky asked Oliver.

The younger boy thought for a second before he moved to strap himself in. "Now I check the mirrors."

Charlie smiled and leaned her head against the side of the seat. Her hand was still playing with the soft curls of Bucky's hair.

"Good. Once that's done, what do you do?"

"Uh..." Oliver hesitated. "Put the car into reverse."

"Well, you want to check your surroundings. You want to make sure no one is around you or behind you."