063

• • •

• • •

"I'm hot and cold and then I'm losing who I am
I lost myself along the way, I understand
If you want someone else's hand to take your hand"

Chelsea Cutler,
You're Not Missing Me

• • •

"H O W did you get here?"

Another day had passed since Charlie's first round of genetic mutation. The pain inside her lasted for only a few hours before it subsided, and her body grew tolerant of the drug that had been introduced to her blood.

In the time that had passed, Steve Rogers and Charlie Grant were left in a state of darkness as 'nighttime' came. Though with no sun or outside world, neither of them had a clue as to what time it actually was. The hours seemed to last forever in the small room.

Steve frowned into the darkness and set his hands behind his head as he stared the unseen ceiling above him. "When I went to return the stones, I got stuck fighting an old enemy. And when I finally came out, they were waiting for me. I don't know how it happened."

Charlie didn't know much about how they brought everyone back, or the final battle against the terrorist that slaughtered half the universe. She just knew it happened. She didn't know what the stones meant or how or where he got stuck. But she didn't ask questions. She listened.

"I tried to fight my way out. But there are so many of them. It was like fighting Hydra but they were on steroids. And there must have been about fifty men. They shot me with a bullet that knocked me out. When I came to, I was here."

"I think they wanted me because they thought I had a mutation in me. For being able to survive all that I had, and being frozen in ice for so long. But they found out pretty soon it was purely just the serum. They have someone posing as me on the outside. Did you meet him?"

"No. Bucky doesn't visit you either. Or whoever that is. He says you're a stranger to him. He hates it." Her voice was quiet.

Steve smiled. "I guess he knows it's not really me."

"Probably." Charlie said in a monotone voice.

"How is he doing? With the whole..." His voice trailed off as he stopped himself. He didn't know if she knew about his time as the Winter Solider.

"As an assassin? He's doing pretty well. He's been seeing a therapist for a while. Some special guy Sam brought in. And he's been on anxiety meds for his PTSD."