Manik : Kaha thi tum? 

His tone was extremely calm. Like the one before a storm. His entire demeanour manifested that all he wanted to hear was the truth. Anything apart from the truth would make him lose his temper. Everyone anticipated it except Nandini. They were all afraid to witness what could take place if Nandini wouldn't be able to read between the lines and spoke anything but the truth. Nandini obviously was oblivious to the things that took place before she arrived. She was her usual chirpy self - smiling and happy. 

Nandini : Mei? I was at home and then I came to college. You toh know naa? Subah tak tum mere ghar par hi toh the. Then you left me a note saying you had some important work. Bas, I got ready, had my breakfast and took my medicines, as you had instructed and then I came here. 

Nandini went on about her routine. This was not what Manik was asking about. His patience was wearing off. He tried to maintain his composure.

Manik : So, you came to the jam room directly? 

Nandini : Haan Manik. Aur kaha jaaungi? 

Manik : Are you sure Nandini?

Nandini : Of course I'm sure Manik. Kya hogaya hai tumhe? Why are you being such a detective? 

Manik : So what were you doing in the canteen with that guy? 

Nandini looked at him in confusion. Suddenly her expressions changed as she realized what Manik was talking about. 

Nandini : Ohh that. That was Anant. He was in my class. That's how I know him. You know, he had gone for a cultural exchange program for 6 months. That's so fascinating, isn't it? He returned yesterday night. So we were just catching up. 

Nandini was all praises for Anant. That was the last straw for Manik. He looked like he could skin Nandini alive. Everyone knew what was about to happen. He hollered. 

Manik : CATCHING UP? So how was your catching up with him? Good? If he's so fascinating, what are you doing here? I'm sure hugging and kissing him after so long must have felt surreal. (He gestured towards the door) So you should go and be with him.

Nandini stared at him, agape. Manik turned his face away from her to hide his pain. The others exchanged worried glances.  

Nandini : What the hell are you saying Manik? How could you even think that way? 

Manik turned towards her. 

Manik : What am I saying? I saw you Nandini. In the canteen. Laughing with him. Hugging him. Kissing his cheek. (He shut his eyes to blink back the angry tears that threatened to fall) What do I make of it Nandini? Huh?

His voice was merely a whisper by the end. All the flashes of the incident played in front of his eyes once again. He couldn't erase the picture of Nandini kissing Anant from his memory. However, now it was Nandini's turn to be angry. 

Nandini : He's just a friend Manik. Nothing else. You know what? Forget it. You've already made your assumptions about me and Anant, right? So, think whatever you wish to. I'm not going to give you an explanation for anything. I'm tired of explaining myself to you Manik. Why is it that I have to prove my loyalty to you, always? I don't doubt you when you hug Mukti or Alya. Or when you kiss them on their cheeks or their foreheads. I never question you about it. 

Mukti : Nandini, mei aur Alya kaha se beech mei aagaye? You know we are his friends. 

Manik stared at her, astounded. He couldn't believe that she thought about his friendship with Mukti and Alya in that manner. Nandini turned towards Mukti.