Chapter 5

As soon as Manik opened the door, Nandini closed her eyes. She thought that Manik would see all of them hiding in the room and her surprise will be disclosed in front of him. 

Manik : Yaha toh koi nahi hai.

Nandini : Huh?

She opened her eyes and found that the room was empty. She sighed in relief. 

Nandini : Maine toh tumhe pehle hi kaha tha. But no. Tumhe toh meri baat sunni hi nahi thi naa. Tumhe toh laga tha yaha chor hai.  

Manik : But yeh room ki window kyu open hai? I think you were right. Billi hi hogi aur shayad yahi se aai hogi. You wait, mei window bandh karke aata hu.

Nandini nodded her head. At that time, her phone vibrated. She checked and saw a message from Cabir. It read, ‘We escaped through the window. I hope Manik ko shak nahi hua.’ To this, Nandini replied, ‘Nahi hua. Thank God.’ Manik closed the window and they headed back towards Nandini's room. 

In Nandini's room

Nandini sat on the bed. Manik was just about to sit besides her when,  

Nandini : Manik it's quite late. I think tumhe bhi ab ghar jaana chahiye. 

Manik : Huh? What? Abhi thodi der pehle toh tum itni romantic ho rahi thi and now you are telling me to go back home. What is wrong with you Nandini? 

Nandini : Nothing is wrong with me Manik. Woh toh late hogaya tha isliye maine kaha.

Manik : Tum sach mei chahti ho ki mei chala jaaun? 

A look of despondency appeared on his face. Just a while ago, Nandini was all romantic and dragged him to her room. And now she wanted him to go back to his house. He felt bad. He was unaware that Nandini had dragged him to her room out of the desperation to get him out of the living room. Although he composed himself within a second, Nandini didn't miss the disappointment that flashed across his features. 

Manik : Okay. Mei chalta hu. Take care. 

Manik turned to leave. Nandini thought to herself, ‘Did I just see hurt in Manik's eyes? Lekin woh kyu.. Oh God Nandini. Yeh tune kya kia? Woh yaha tere saath time spend karne aaya tha. Aur tune.. tune usse ghar jaane ke liye keh diya. Chacha-Chachi yaha nahi hai toh obviously woh yaha rehne ke liye hi aaya hoga naa. Tu bhi na Nandini. Ab jaa, rok usse.’ By the time Nandini completed her self talk, Manik had already left the room. She got up from the bed and rushed out of the room. Nandini saw Manik going downstairs. While going behind him, she shouted, 

Nandini : Manikkkk…

Manik turned around as he heard her shout. He was headed towards the door. As she was running, she skipped a step towards the end of the staircase and was going to fall face front on the ground. Manik rushed towards her and held her by her arms before she could fall. He made her stand. Manik was annoyed.

Manik : Nandini, dhyaan kaha hai tumhara? This is the second time that you've slipped, since I'm here. 

Nandini was out of breath due to the running. 

Nandini : Ma.. Manik, wo..woh…

Manik : Woh kya Nandini? Tum apna khayal kyu nahi rakh sakti ho, God damnit? 

He turned around with his back towards her and shut his eyes in pain. Nandini hugged his waist from behind. 

Nandini : Manik, I'm.. I'm sorry. Wo.. woh mei tumhe rokne ke liye aa rahi thi aur mei slip hogayi. I'm sorry. 

Manik removed her hands from his waist, turned around and enveloped her in his arms, tightly. He let out a breath.

Manik : I'm sorry too. Mujhe aise baat nahi karni chahiye thi tumse. Par tumhe bhi apna dhyaan rakhna chahiye na. Tumhe pata hai na, agar tumhe kuch hota hai toh meri jaan nikal jaati hai.