CHAPTER 2

Silence fell upon us as we simply stared at each other, nothing to be heard but our breathing. Well, for a moment.

WHOOSH

An arrow whizzed between us and planted itself in the tree George's sword was in, my eyes darting towards where the arrow was fired from; there stood a skeleton, reaching for another arrow. I felt something grip my wrist before I was jerked forward, being dragged along by George. "Where are we going?!" I yelled, stumbling to keep up with him "Anywhere but here!" He shouted, swerving away from a creeper as spiders leaped down a near by tree. We kept running, but we were burning through our energy. We couldn't keep this up.

"We need to find shelter!" I said between pants as we ran into an empty clearing. George turned and threw me a shovel.

"Dig."

We managed to make a small hole in the ground, staircasing down before switching to our pickaxes and filling in the top. We simply sat on one of the steps and panted, catching our breath. Once we were calm we got up, stumbling over each other in the pitch black. "It's too dark in here." I mumbled "Got any coal?" George asked, pulling up his inventory. While it was a bright white, no light seemed to emanate from it. I opened up my own, and grabbed a small stack of coal I got from mining. "I don't have any wood, but here." I said, fumbling to find his hand and give it to him. He quickly threw some torches together and lit up the small room we made.

It was only then I realized just how close we were in a small two by two block space. I felt heat rise to my face but I don't know how much of it was the closeness versus the fact that we just finished running. I could see his chest rise and fall with each breath, only really telling how tall he was now. "Uh, we should make this hole bigger." I muttered, looking down and trying to hide my rosy face with my bangs.

"Yeah, good idea." George said, seemingly unaware of my embarrassment. We cleared out the space to be the size of a small room before flopping down in opposite corners. I closed my eyes and pressed myself against the cool stone. "Y/n?" George started, grabbing my attention, I sat up and met his eyes. "Do you remember anything?" He asked, a small frown on his face. "No, not much anyways." I sighed, looking at the floor. "I remember my name, and the face of a girl, but that's it..."

"Anything about her?" he pressed, shifting a bit. I thought for a moment, "We're friends, real good friends." I felt my mouth curve into a smile before it quickly fell. "I wonder if she's here..." I shook my head and looked back at George "What about you?"

"Pretty much the same, only my name and some friends." He shrugged, leaning back, small smirk gracing his features. "Two guys, don't know their names." He simply said, looking around the cave. "We should sleep, we can't be tired on top of everything else" He smiled, laying back and closing his eyes.

"Yeah, fair point." I curled up in my corner,

"Goodnight George."

"G'night Y/n"

And with that, we eventually dozed off.

●●●●●

I woke up to the sun shining in my eyes, groaning a bit. Wait, light? I lurched up and looked around, only to see that George was gone too! "George!" I gasped, shambling my way up the stairs and running outside, being blinded by the sheer brightness. "George?" I called once more, shielding my eyes. I eventually was able to make out his figure, making my way over to him. He was hunched over a campfire, cooking some steak.

"Hey sleepyhead." He smirked, looking at me over his shoulder.

"Hi..." I trailed off, sitting down by the fire, trying to calm myself down.