Chapter Seventeen: Cubed

Still laying in Robert's warm wing embrace, I wake to the sound of clunky footsteps. I crack open my eyes, making quite an effort. The first thing I see is the cold, early morning sky, and-
A young, tan face staring at me. The girl looming over our sleeping bag looks about fourteen or fifteen, and has wavy,chest length caramel-colored hair. Her large, deep-set eyes are a gorgeous cinnamon color, and her small round nose complements her thin lips.
But the most alluring part of her, is the tawny wings that sprout from her back and spread out behind her.
My eyes widen, and I feel my lips part in awe at this young harpie. Her face is currently a mixture of a disapproving frown and a puzzled look as she looms over the sleeping bag.
Gazing up at her, her eyes bore into me. I nudge Robert with one of my wings underneath the blanket. He stirs and pulls in his wings, then turns to me, blinking and giving me a quizzical expression. I quietly look up and bob my head in the obvious direction of the girl. He rolls over, and looks up. His face darkens, and he sits up in the bag. The girl takes a step backwards. Robert gives me a reassuring glance, and then begins to speak.
"Listen, I know that you probably don't get visitors but don't worry, we don't want to hurt you, we were just resting for the night...we'll go ahead and leave now"
The girl speaks now, glaring at Robert.
"You are not going anywhere unless I say so"
The girls voice shook slightly as she spoke, and considering she didn't seem that old, she didn't really pose a threat, although she would think she was winning our little encounter if we both kept sitting on the floor with her above us. Cautiously, I stood up. Unfortunately, she was taller than me, about 5'6. As I stood up, she turned to me.
"Nuh uh!!! You aren't going anywhere"
"All I did was get up"
She looked me up and down. I was wearing pajama shorts and a thin black tanktop. It was freezing outside but nice and warm in here. She could tell I wasn't going anywhere. I spoke to the girl again, this time I would be more cautious.
"So...what's your name? What are you doing here? And why are you trying to keep us captive here?"
"Geez...you ask a lot of questions woman....."
"Yeah I know. Now get on with it"
"Well, my name's Roxy and I'm a loner. I'm looking for a flock, and you guys seem perfect!
The way she had suddenly perked up seemed a bit suspicious to me.
"A Flock?"
"Yeah! Like, a family! Preferably three or more..."
"And you want us as your flock?"
"Umm, yeah!"
Robert spoke up now
"Well, I'm sorry little girl...what did you say your name was...? Rocky...? R-...Roxy?Yeah well, sorry Roxy but me and Clarissa here are headed to our own place and we don't can't have you interfering"
I quickly tugged Robert aside. I felt sorry for the girl, and kind of wanted to take her in, especially if Robert wasn't what he seemed.
"Listen, we should take her in, she sounds like she needs us."
"No Clarissa, she seems like just as much work as a three year old."
"But...Please?"  I gave him my best puppy dog face, complete with a pouty lip.
"Fine, we can take her. But if she screws up, we lose her."
"Okay" I smirked at Robert.
I turned back around and walked over to Roxy.
"Okay Roxy, we'll take you in"
"What!?Really!?
"Absolutely"
"Oh my god!!I have to get my stuff right now!!This is so exciting!!!"
Roxy ran across the room and headed down a stairwell to get her things. Robert let out a long sigh and began to roll up the sleeping bag...I got the feeling that we were leaving- and that Robert really didn't like Roxy.
"Listen- she'll be good for us, okay? Like, a pet"
Robert looked up at me and smiled a sweet little smile, no sarcasm. "I believe you"
"Good" I told him.
I grabbed some clothes and went to a room off to the side to change. I wasn't dirty, but my hair had some natural oils weighing it down- healthy I guess. I pulled on a pair of black and purple jeans with an Apocalyptica t-shirt. For once I wished I could wear a nice blouse, or a dress. Death&Decay sold so many beautifully macabre things that I wished I could wear. However, flying to Colorado wasn't exactly the time to wear a dress. I promised myself that when we got to Colorado, I'd find a gothic boutique and get away from Robert- somehow.