Chapter Ten: Tested

Leaning against the glass counter, I thought about my future for once, instead of trying to find my past. I realized that this is how it would be every single day, greeting people, helping them find things the need, and listening to bands all day......and I didn't mind a bit. I twisted a piece of my side bangs around my finger as I waited for Robert. It had been about eleven minutes now, and I was just a bit worried. But as I continued to stare out the glass doors, I saw the two other employees nearing the doors with four cups of coffee. I recognized the boy with the snake bites who had first greeted me, and another girl with neon red hair cut short like mine. I hadn't introduced myself yet, and I didn't want to greet them without Robert.....Feeling foolish, I turned-tail and headed for the stockroom in the back of the store, where I immediately ran smack into Robert.

"Ahh!"

"What are you doing back here??!!?!"

"I..."

"Why didn't you come back??!!?!"

"I....I wanted to see how you would handle your first set of customers"

Robert looked down at his feet, seeming deflated. I tried to cheer him up a bit....

"So.....did I do good?"

"Yeah! you did great with finding the shirts for that girl, and you worked the computer like a pro!"

I looked up at Robert with my mouth cracked open.

"I-i actually did a good job? I didn't screw up or anything??"

"Of course not! But either way, I'm still going to do this....."

Robert leaned in close to me, and wrapped his arm around my waist, bringing us closer. Had a sweet look on his face, and the early morning sun filtering through the front windows of the store turned his hair from black-brown to purple-blue, and outside, there was rain that was beginning to pick up, even with the sun out, cast tiny rainbows around the store, brightening up the place in an unusual way. I guess he decided that was a good moment, because he gently placed his other hand on the base of my neck, and closed the remaining space between us. His lips were soft against mine, and his bangs fell into my face, tickling my cheeks and making me blush. We gently separated our mouths, only to bring our foreheads together and gazed into each other's eyes through a thin curtain of hair. I giggled, which made him blush as he brought his hand up to stroke my cheek.

"You're so beautiful Clarissa"

He whispered to me.

"Well you, are absolutely, gorgeous"

I wrapped my arms around his shoulders, barely reaching him. Everything was perfect for a few moments, until we both looked up after hearing someone sharply clear their throat. Standing in front of us were the two other employees who I had seen returning from their coffee run. The redhead was the one who had cleared her throat to get our attention, while the boy with the lip piercings silently stood next to her.

"Woah! So...are you with this girl Robert?" the redhead asked us with a hint of distaste in her voice, as if I were a bug on her sleeve that wouldn't leave. Slightly shocked, I decided to let Robert do the talking.

"Yes I am, Ashton. If you have a problem with Clarissa here, who you haven't even met yet, then please do say so. Also, she works her now, as I would think that Conrad had mentioned something by now, seeing as he was the one who directed her to me to apply for a job"

"Well he didn't mention anything.....and ok...." The redhead- Ashton, turned to me.

"I'm sorry for judging you the moment I saw you. it just made me a little uncomfortable to see you..umm..making out... with someone who I've been friends with for a few years now... so I'm sorry...Clarissa" Ashton stuck out her hand, and I shook it, then me and Conrad did the same.

For the rest of the work day, customers came through the glass doors by the dozen. Conrad taught me how to work the computer, and work with various forms of payment. Ashton taught me some answers to common questions like what things we have in stock, where certain fandoms are located in the store, such as batman, doctor who, and mine craft.

By the end of the day, around ten O'clock, Ashton and Conrad had gone home so Robert and were left to close up shop. That meant turning off the tv and sound system, locking up file cabinets, the office, and the display case behind the register.
Robert gathered up his things and my new clothes. As we left, he posed am important question.

"Well....are you ready to meet my parents Clarissa?"

"I guess it would be now or never"

"Okay then"

We walked outside after locking up the front doors, and hopped into Roberts' Ford truck- it had a lift might I mention- and we drove onto the highway, passing the cemetery and heading onwards to Roberts house.