Chapter Six: Secrets

I finished the last of the paperwork and slumped into the office chair, when a sharp pain in my shoulder blades made me jolt upright.
"Ahhh!!!!!"
The pain didn't fade until I reached behind me and slid a hand into the tight fabric of my dress, near the top of my zipper, creating space as the pain faded to a dull throb. I had let a out a pretty loud yell a minute ago, and hoped that Robert hadn't heard. Unfourtenately, he had heard me. He walked into the room with my lanyard/I.D. and an understanding look on his face.

"Let me help with that"
he whispered softly, as if trying not to startle me.

I slowly released my shoulders from their tense position and removed my hand. I winced, as the pain returned.

"Owwwww...my back..."

"Shhhhh, shhhh, it's gonna be fine"

Robert walked over to the office door, locked it, and pulled down the blind.

"W-what are you doing?" I whispered.

"Listen, I saw you sleeping on the bench last night. I was the one who had to close up the shop, and you were asleep by the time I left. Also I saw you come from the cemetery. And believe me, those might be bite marks, but you're no vampire."

"Great.....if im not a classic creature of the night, then why am I alive?"

"Clarissa.."

"Yes......?"

"Did you ever read Greek mythology? Did you ever learn about the ancient myths?"

"Ummm..."

I tried to recall anything I might have learned back in school, but my memories remained buried.

"No, I didnt"

"Hmmm..."

Robert looked puzzled, as if he had counted on me saying yes.

"Well.... do you know what a Harpie is?"

"No"

"Well then, allow me to show you"

What surprised me was that through the whole conversation, Robert didn't sound intimidating, or like he wanted to show off. He just sounded compassionate and caring and like he wanted to help.... but what was next was even more surprising.

Robert pulled his shirt over his head, and put it on the table.

"What are you doing!?!"

"I'm showing you what you are"

Robert turned around, and spread out a pair of midnight black, feathered, wings.