Chapter 19

Ladybug placed a hand to her ear, where a device from a spot on her yo-yo was nestled. "Viperion, I need you to use Second Chance."

There was a moment of static, before Luka spoke up with, "Why? Is everything alright?"

"Yes. My Lucky Charm just gave me a mask, and I'm pretty sure that means I'll have to reveal my identity to Chat."

Marinette spun her weapon in a few circles, then hurled it up to pole a few yards away. She tugged on the string, and soon she was launched into the air and face-to-face with her partner again.

Chat Blanc charged forward - baton at the ready - making her narrow her eyes as she leapt out of the way in a graceful movement. The next minute consisted of them trading blows and kicks, with their grunts and pants being the only noises about.

The akuma growled. He performed a high flip back several feet, and aimed his staff in her direction. With a press to the button on the hilt of it, a purple blast shot out, which she scrambled to avoid.

Her feet provided a grip to the many walls she ran across. She could hear the whip of Adrien's tail as he followed close behind.

"Melody?" a voice called from her comm, prompting her to breathlessly hum as an answer. Viperion seemed to hesitate for a moment, then carried on, "You need to get out of public sight if you want to go through with this. There's an abandoned building not that far on your right."

Ladybug nodded, even though he couldn't see, and proceeded to propel herself east. The action appeared to confuse the villain chasing her down, yet he chose not to speak and instead speed up his steps.

She twirled in the sky, giving off the impression that she was the very animal that her spots symbolised. Her yo-yo snapped with a flick of the wrist to wrap around a different lamppost, and she was suspended for another time.

There was a flash of yellow in her vision. She jumped high, and caught sight of a structure with striped tape blocking off exits and dust gathering in all places. Metal placeholders held up the levels of it, whilst planks of wood allowed space to walk.

A sigh escaped Marinette's lips. She ignored the shrill sound that emanated from her earrings and instead landed without a whisper of noise on unsteady ground. So did a figure in bleached white.

Chat Blanc let out a cackle. "What's wrong, Ladybug?" he sneered. "Don't want Paris to see their beloved hero defeated?"

All of a sudden, a purple symbol lit up his features. "I know, I will!" he snarled, baring his teeth. His head twitched as it flickered away, leaving his face darkened once more.

The female pursed her lips, positioning herself into a defensive stance. Her muscles tensed. Her eyes narrowed.

This is it...

Adrien aimed his palms towards her, as destructive energy began to dance at his fingertips. "Cataclysm!" he yelled, while hurling the force straight at her.

The red blur in her hands sent the blast another place - to a pillar supporting the weight of the foundation above. She stepped back on instinct, as she gazed upon the structure beginning to disintegrate.

White ears flicked up. The owner of them sprung back on light feet, extending a baton to lessen their decent. Ice blue eyes watched with disinterest as Ladybug gasped and spun her yo-yo fast as a shield.

Rubble rained down, covering the whole block around with smog and stone. Chat Blanc felt a smirk tug at his lips, until a familiar presence pressed at his mind again. "You'll get your miraculous!" he grunted, tightening his fists as he pounced up again.

Though the moon provided little light to the ground below, his enhanced vision allowed him to spot the girl crouched down in the middle of the debris, whilst leaning on a chunk of rock at her side.

The akuma grinned. He lifted up a hand to aim at her chest, as a ball of energy materialised in his grasp. "I think it's time you give me your miraculous, Ladybug. After all, you've only got a minute left."

As if to prove his point, frantic beeping cut through the tense atmosphere, making Marinette suck in a breath of air. She couldn't fight off the way that her body trembled as a waterfall of pink magic washed over it.

Revealed was an Asian student with flowing locks. A grey jacket and floral shirt. Ocean orbs. Cuts and bruises across her cheeks and skin.

"...Princess?"

The figure's voice was meek, shocked. He slowly lowered his arm and took a step forward. Wide irises became dilated as they scanned over her many injuries.

He suddenly stumbled to his knees, still towering over her as he brought a shaky hand up to cup her face. The other was used to grip her shoulder tight - as if checking that she was actually there.

"I-I'm sorry..." he whimpered, moving in to embrace her in a hug. "Marinette, I- gosh, I'm so sorry."

There were a few moments of silence.

"...Me too..."

The whisper was quiet, yet he was able to catch it with the drooping ears pinned atop his head. "F-For what?"

He didn't have time to react to whatever grabbed him from the shoulders. All that he caught was a flash of teal as he started to thrash about beneath the person holding him down.

Marinette popped up in his vision again, with what he deemed to be tears welling up in her eyes. She hesitated for a second, before snatching the bell from around his neck.

"No!" he shouted. "Catacly-"

A hand muffled his words, causing him to hiss in a threatening manner. He could feel Hawk Moth attempting to regain a mental connection with him, but all he could focus on was how Marinette was clutching his akumatized object.

She grit her teeth, smashing a fist into its surface.