Part 23, The chase

I was panting.

I was dehydrated.

But I couldn't stop. Not now. It's too dangerous.

I took quick glances behind but it seems like it had stop following me or maybe it couldn't keep up and lost me.

Right now, I'm not quite sure.

Sweat was showering my whole entire body. I felt disgusting.

I was still running. Making my way back. Away from that beast.

It didn't quite make any sense how they wander around before sun down. But it didn't really bother me. As long as it's not up in my alley anymore, I'm all good.

My muscles were all aching but I had to make it back in time.

I pushed my body harder and harder as I go. I'm losing daylight and that was a really bad sign.

My vision started to blur. That's when I knew that panic attacks are kicking in.

I let out ugly groans and screams.

Under my blurred vision, I could finally sense an opening. It was the doors.

My feet felt like it was gonna fall off any second. All I felt around me was heat and more heat.

I am breathing in but I'm losing oxygen.

I was so close to the door. So close.

I fastened but clumsily lost my balance a couple times.

From here I could see someone waiting for me. A worried look on her face. It was Paula.

The doors were closing in beside me but I stumbled down and rolled out just in time.

I shed tears under my already-sweaty face. The air was still short but I could breathe better. I was lying on my the ground.

Up above I could see Paula's face. She held my hand and blurted out words like "Are you okay?","I'm right here" and "You're all good now,"

I was trying to control my breaths and calm down to get rid of the panicking.

I'm all good. I'm fine. At least for now.

I gotta get up and finish my map room duties but my body felt way too heavy to lift.

After for what seems for a minute, other Gladers started to crowd around. I couldn't quite see their faces but I know I'm surrounded above me.

I shifted my head over to Paula. And only Paula. Her worries overcame her pretty smile but I still managed to smile for her.

Hands reached out for my shoulders and legs. My body was lifted up. I could feel Paula's grip loosened off my hand and finally my hand was let go of.

The map room. That's where I need to go. I'm so overwhelmed.

I'm worn out.