▪︎ chapter eleven ▪︎

Start from the beginning

However, as soon as my friends have left and were out of earshot, he turns his attention to me.

"Why did to do this?" He asks, lifting up my left arm. His fingers were around my wrist but even through the thick fabric of my black overcoat, I could feel the fire. I was taken aback at his question. I knew to the core, he wasn't going to let me get away without an honest answer.

"Because there is no reason for me not to do so." I had given in. I don't know what was controlling me right now but as I sat down on the bench press with a huff, I was certain that Ian is gonna be either a blessing or a lesson.

"Can you elaborate?" He asks softly as he sits down, kneeling before me. My left arm was still in his grip. The lights and shadows in the gym created such an atmosphere that I might have automatically gone sentimental. The electricity was out.

"Not that anyone would care if I didn't exist. So what's my point in living? Have you seen my parents...oh who am I asking?" I laugh sadly, looking down to my lap.

"I am lonely, Ian," I continue,"Even though I seem to have almost everything I wish for, I feel alone in a crowded room. I am scared even Connor might forget me one day. I am incapable of love. And I basically am a psycho. To end this, I hate myself." A tear threatened to fall from the corner of my eye. I don't know why I was opening up to Ian Eastwood when I had no reason to trust him with my darkest secrets. Maybe because he was the first person who had cared enough to ask.

"Who said you're incapable of love?" he asks in almost a whisper.

"Can you please not say that damn word?" I snap.

"You're strange. Aren't you able to see the other people who adore you? Or is it just your parents that seem to attract your attention?" His words were cutting right through me. And I couldn't accept the fact that someone had that kind of power over my mind.

Before I could respond anything, Audrey and Jae-Hwa had returned. I hear them gasp as Ian gets up on his feet.

"What are you both up to? Why was he kneeling before you?" Jae-Hwa attacks me with questions.

"Ah, she had a sudden sprain in her calf muscle. I was taking care of it." Ian manages up an excuse. I had to admit it was quite convincing because my best friends looked worried.

"How did that happen? Are you alright now, Vann? Do you need a Diclofenac?" Audrey asks, pulling out the pain-reliever gel from her backpack.

"There's no need of that right now. It's not that bad." I assure her.

"Okay. We should go home then. The storm has reduced to a drizzle for the time being." Jae states and I look out the window. I wanted to be back in my room as fast as possible. Another moment in the presence of Ian would make me break down.

Munching on my almost-burnt toast, I called Stefan. It had been a long time since I had properly talked to him. It would also be seemingly unfair on my part if I just left him like that. He picks up after three rings.

"Vanessa? What's up?" Stefan's deep voice speaks through the phone.

"Nothing much. I was just having my dinner. Sadly, I burnt the bread." I giggle as I take another bite. The butter was helping enough though.

"That is so you" He laughs.

"You know, I think it's the best weather out there. It would be better if it snowed." I say.

"Really, you are something huh! People are scared that there might be blizzards and here you are speaking of snow" He replies and I could mentally see him rolling his eyes.

"Well, that's what makes me unique I guess."

"Anyway, your birthday's coming soon. What's the plan?" Stefan's question throws me back to thought. I had totally forgotten that I was born in July. Birthdays normally meant partying out all night with friends and drinking booze till I passed out. The next morning, Jae and Audrey would wake me up to a hangover. So typical.

"The usual. Don't ask." I sigh.

"Okay, so...um, I'll talk to you later? Mummy's calling me downstairs" He says and I suddenly feel a pang in my chest realizing how adorable it was to call someone 'mummy'.

"Bye. Goodnight."

"Sleep tight." he tells me before hanging up.

Like Ian had said a few hours earlier, I did have people who cared about me. It was just my stupid brain that always seeks for some love from my parents alone. It hits me hard too, that for the first time, someone had proven me so wrong. How could Ian know me well enough when it had just been a month that we met? My weaknesses, my suicide attempt...all seemed to be in his knowledge now. And it made me scared what he might be doing with the information. But somehow, my heart refused to believe he could do something bad to me. As if it already knew....

_____✵_____

A/N: The beginning of falling. Isn't it? Spoiler alert- sweet stuff coming up! Get excited people! I can't wait to complete the novel. New updates soon. Also, we have surpassed 1k reads yesterday. Thank you all for voting. Take care, keep smiling.

­­
-Mia.