xix

joshua,

fuck. i don't know who else to turn to. i went to check the mail today, like i always do, and i found a thick brown envelope sitting on top a pile of letters. usually people don't send us anything important, and certainly not enough mail to fit in an envelope that size, so i glanced at the sender address to see where it was from. ucla. 

normally that doesn't send up red flags because it's not unusual to receive paperwork in this amount from a college, right? the weirder part was that it was addressed to rachel sheppard. 

at first, i thought it could be one of the neighbours letters and, perhaps, it contained a college decision from ucla. as i was throwing on a jacket and shoes to walk the letter over to our neighbours, i noticed that the address was my home address. mothers name is claire so obviously not for her. obviously i had to open it because i'm nosy, but fuck josh this changes everything.

inside was dozens of typed email exchanges between rachel sheppard and the ucla admissions team. i had to read a few to know what was going on, but then it finally clicked. rachel

she tickles a faint memory of when i met her at the gallery opening and she was peering intently at my artist card by one of my paintings. i remember us exchanging friendly hellos, but nothing more than that. that's the only rachel i know in my life.

joshua, i have no clue who rachel is but i'm so lost. i always assumed that i got into ucla and got offered a scholarship for my art because i was a good artist. i thought that this was the first good thing that happened after dad died. my mini daydream of my dad smiling down at me, proud of me and my achievements, were dashed with this simple letter. 

i have no idea what this means for me and my admissions now. it turns out that i might not have even deserved a scholarship. i don't know who rachel is but i'm determined to find out. write back, please. i could use someone to talk to.

ash

--

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Rachel Sheppard and I am following up about my donation of $[redacted] to the University of California, Los Angeles. I have spoken with the financial team, as well as the administration, about the scholarship titled 'Alumni Association Arts Scholarship of UCLA.' As the sole benefactor, as well as a prominent alumni of UCLA, the administration has allowed me to choose a recipient for the upcoming school year. Please confirm that it has been issued to Ashton Myers of [redacted], Bay City, MI 48707.

Rachel Sheppard,

UCLA '08