02 | ♛ | The Sealed Deal

T W O
the sealed deal

T W O the sealed deal

A.E.C

A SWOOP OF MY pen on the last dotted line is all it takes to set my marriage into stone.

The road to Adrian and my marriage has consisted of more signatures than conversations. This is the second major contract I've signed regarding the matter, the first settled the rights and ownership entailing the new collaborative unit.

The second one, the one only a handful of people know about is a thick stack that contains a prenup, NDA and everything in between, a physical reminder of how this union is not one of love but that of convenience.

God, I've lost count of the times I've signed my name on seemingly never ending contracts.

"Lovely." Richard claps his hands together "If it weren't this early in the day I would propose us indulging in Dom Perignon for this joyous occasion."

Yes, nothing calls for breaking out a ten thousand euro bottle of bubbly like monetizing off of forcing two people into an arranged marriage.

"I do hope you're happy, my dear." He turns to me, and hearing the sincerity in his question leaves me with frustrating confliction.

I know some part, deep down in Richard actually loves and care for his eldest son and by proxy me but because it's buried under so many layers of 'duty' and greed it's always overlooked.

Even if I do voice my true sentiments-how I feel like I'm being tugged into the bottom of a depthless ocean and the deeper I go, the more the fight leaves me-he won't care enough to alter or rectify anything.

Which is why I tamp down all my emotions with a pretty little smile "I'm ecstatic. I get to fulfil my dad's dream and carry on my family name and business, what more could I want."

Not entirely a lie yet everything inside me screams because there is so much more I could want, like putting myself first.

"I'm glad to hear that." He pats my hand "Well, I think we should take our leave now, work never stops for anyone. Though you two should get out of here and spend some time together." He winks at me and I chuckle, if only at the absurdity of this situation.

Not failing to notice Adrian's fixated gaze that has been on me since the begging of this conversation, I give Casp a hug "I'll be visiting. Often." He grins, showing off his pearly whites to which I monotone "Lucky me. I'll have a five year old pestering me every day."

He scoffs "You say that as if you're out of that age bracket yourself."

I pinch his arm "I'm running a company now so I think it's safe to say I'm at least ten and of course, I'll be keeping in touch. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon."

"You better not, future sister-in-law." He sings as Richard practically drags him out of the room.

With a final wave, I give my back to the door and deflate. My smile instantly dropping.