19 - Queen Victoria

Start from the beginning

While he summed up our discovery, I roamed amongst the keepsakes that Batman had collected throughout his past campaigns. I shuddered at the evilness oozing from an oversized Joker playing card, and petted an animatronic Tyrannosaurus Rex, recoiling with a cry as my gesture triggered the opening of its muzzle. In the back of this museum, a giant silver dollar coin gleamed. I paused in front of it, and mused about Two-Face, the villain that had tied Batman and Robin to it.

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Behind the coin, a soft and modulated voice quoted The Dark Knight movie. I narrowed my eyes at the feminine silhouette that glided in the shadows, and gasped when blue neon light hit her face. "Victoria Kowalski? Oh, my God. I love you so much. Theo, she's here. I cannot believe I'm meeting you. You're so frigging awesome."

Her grin widened at each of my praises, and upon spotting Darcy striding in our direction, she giggled. "Hi, Theo. Who's your lovely acquaintance?"

"Long time no see, Victoria," was his answer. He hugged her, and motioned towards me. "This is my friend Leah, who joined the Montreal DigHandling team this week."

"Hi, Leah." She welcomed me in her embrace, and I did my best to not be creepy and sniff her fragrance. Dang it. Coconut.

Victoria held me at arms length, and after studying my features, beamed at me. "I'm so glad someone managed to crack Theo's shell."

We followed her back to the supercomputer and perched up on stools while she settled in the Bat's armchair.

"Sorry to come here unannounced." Theo squirmed on his seat.

"No biggie." She tossed her platinum blond hair, grunted, and tied it with the scrunchie she had around her wrist. "I cannot stay long, though: a friend is visiting."

"Are you in Repentigny?"

"Yeah, I am. You should come visiting. I added a pergola above the terrace. You won't get sunburned this time."

"Wow. We haven't seen each other since August?"

"So long, uh? What have you been up to? You look good, Theo."

"Thanks. You too."

Victoria chuckled, and rubbed her pasty cheeks. "Really? I'm exhausted. I should eat something, next time I'm offline. Oh, what a terrible hostess I am. Can I get you something to nibble on? Cookies, muffins?" Her graceful hand waved towards a half-open door, behind which I caught a glimpse of a refrigerator.

"Will Alfred Pennyworth bring them?" I asked, with a hopeful glance at the kitchen.

"Sorry, Leah. I got rid of the butler. He annoyed me with his constant dusting of the stalagmites."

"Victoria, I apologise but this is not a courtesy call," Theo interrupted, reminding me of the reason why we came. "We think that hackers are exploiting your backdoor to steal memories."

Victoria's pale lips formed an O, then her stare hardened. "I'm gonna kill Romano. This incapable oaf is ruining my creation."

"I didn't warn him of the existence of your secret space. But I'm afraid you'll have to seal it."

"I can't. I need my backdoor to work on the next step for the Bridge."

"The Lord of the Rings version?"

"No. The next step." Pride shone in her sapphire eyes. "Empathy."

"What?" Theo scrunched up his nose in incomprehension. "I never heard of this project."