54. Hurting

Ashanti's POV

The warmth of his blood was all over my hands, dampening my clothes.

He falls out of my embrace.

There he laid lifelessly as blood spilled from him like a waterfall.

"Lamonte?!," I shake him but there was no response.

"Nooo!!!"

I fall into a pit of darkness as I see his still body getting further and further away from my grasp.

I wake up, panting heavily, drenched in my own sweat.

I look over to Lamonte next to me sleeping peacefully.

I get out of bed quietly as to not wake Lamonte and I go check on our princess, who is sound asleep in her crib.

I make my way downstairs to the liquor cabinet and pour myself some wine to take the edge off my trembling body.

These dreams have been happening for the past few months since the accident and even though, Lamonte didn't get hurt at all. The nightmare felt so real and it keeps getting worse each night.

I walk out onto the balcony, feeling the cool night breeze on my clammy skin.

***
5 months earlier...

I was in Lamonte's arms for what felt like hours.

The cops came in and handcuffed Nell's unconscious body.

One of the cops came up to us and asked, "Are any of you injured?"

"No," we said in unison.

"I just wanted to say thank you for your part in helping us catch this guy, he's been hard to pin down," the cop said with a smile.

"No problem," Lamonte spoke as he rubbed my shoulder.

The police always made him uncomfortable.

"Let's get y'all out of here," the police led us outside where Ajax and Ana were waiting for us. Ana immediately took me in her arms, squeezing me tight as well as Ajax.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Raquel being hauled away in cuffs looking at me with envy and anger in her eyes as she always does.

"Are you guys okay?," Ana asked looking nervous, examining my body for wounds.

"We're fine. Lamonte handled everything just fine," I joked holding him close.

"It wasn't all me. My baby was a badass in there too. Speaking of my baby, where is Charliese?," Lamonte questioned.

"She's in the car asleep, we left the air on in there cause we didn't wanna move her and wake her."

We made our way over to Charliese and held her in both of our arms, waking her from her slumber.

"I thought she was with you when you got kidnapped. I was so worried about what they had done to her," his voice breaks lightly and in return my heart breaks.

I pulled him close to my body and whispered, "Even if they had taken her, they wouldn't have been able to lay a finger on her."