49. Birth

ASHANTI

10 hours later...

The pain was beyond excruciating now.

It was like the epidural wore off for me because the contractions were coming subsequently frequent and lasting longer than before.

Nobody ever told me that it takes this fucking long for a baby to come out.

Like I knew it was gonna hurt, but goddamn.

I took a few deep breaths as another contraction hit.

"Oh my god! Why couldn't I get you pregnant?!," I screamed as I squeezed the life out of his hand.

He kissed my forehead and whispers, "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I wish I could have this baby for you, but you are strong enough to get through this."

The nurse waltzed in and performed the 20th cervix exam.

"It looks like you are ready to give birth," she says with a smile as if that would make me feel better or make the pain go away.

The nurses wheeled me into the delivery section as I saw Lamonte keeping up with them, staying by my side to the best of his ability.

Lamonte put on scrubs as well as the nurse and the doctor that assisted me through the pregnancy.

He held my hand once again and placed chaste, demonstrative kisses to my forehead and my lips as he spoke, "I love you more than anything and I'm so proud of you for getting to this point. Now, it's time for us to meet our baby and share the love we have for one another."

"I love you," I mumbled against his lips before another contraction hit and the doctor told me to push.

I continued to push for what felt like days, but it was just an hour.

Soon, I heard the muffled cries of my baby.

Lamonte showered me in kisses and there was nothing more satisfying than seeing the beautifully bright smile that covered his face.

"It's a girl!," Dr. Walker exclaimed as our baby's cries filled the room.

Lamonte cut the umbilical cord while the doctor held our baby.

The doctor handed the nurse our baby and it felt like my heart was leaping out of my chest when she wasn't in sight anymore, but she soon returned with my baby wrapped in a pink blanket.

The nurse handed Lamonte our baby and he stared at her with such loving eyes.

He knelt in front of me to show our baby's beautiful features.

She was so pink, tiny, eyes closed, and came out with a head full of soft, curly black hair just like her daddy.

She looked so cute curled up in her father's arms and it made me swoon helplessly.

I held her as if she was the most delicate thing in the world, which she is.

I kissed her forehead and her tiny little fingers, just for her to show me a little smile and showing me those beautiful brown eyes for just a second before closing them again.