45. Awake

LAMONTE

***
1 week later...

I lay next to her as the sunlight began pouring in, illuminating her beautiful face.

I run my fingers over her lips before replacing it with my own, pecking her lips lightly. The monitor began beeping as I frantically arose and yelled for the nurses.

The nurses rushed in as they kicked me out to the waiting room.

I paced back and forth and after a half an hour the doctor came out.

He smiled as he spoke, "She's awake and she's perfectly fine as well as the baby. She has healed well and we will be able to discharge her tomorrow."

A smile spread across my face as I asked, "Can I see her?"

"Of course."

I ran as fast as I could to her room and I stopped at the doorway.

"Ashanti," I breathed.

Her head whipped to face me at the sound of my voice as she quickly sat up on the bed.

I walked over to her and held her hand as a tear slipped from my eye.

"Why are you crying, baby?"

"I thought I was going to lose you," I said as I wiped my tears away with the back of my hand.

"I'm not going anywhere," she said cradling my face as she kissed my lips repeatedly.

I rubbed her belly as I pecked her forehead.
"Ow!," she screamed in agony.

She held her stomach as she began taking deep breaths.

"Baby, what's wrong?," I asked as she squeezed my hand tightly.

She screamed in pain, "The baby."

"Doctors!," I yelled.

A few staff members came rushing in as they checked her vitals and did a cervix exam.

"You have not dilated at all. You were experiencing a high level of Braxton-Hicks contractions due to your injuries. It's a good sign considering your predicament. It means that the baby is healthy and will be ready to come out soon," the doctor said with a bright smile on his face.

"Thank you," Ashanti replied.

I held her hand in mine as she looked at me nervously.

"What is it?," I asked before kissing the top of her head.

"I'm scared to give birth," she said with a jagged breath.

"I wish I could take your pain, but the best thing I can do is be there for you," I whispered while massaging her scalp.

Ashanti threw her body on mine as she smothered my lips with kisses.

"You're so beautiful," I said with a chuckle as she grinned all in my face.

***
A couple days later...