First Edit, Part 13

"I miss home," said Adrian, staring into space from his bed.

"Why?" asked Grandpa, they were settling down and daydreaming, they had all the time in the galaxy as they slowly plodded along was gravity sucked them in like a whirlpool swallows a ship.

"The comforts," he replied, "not being stuck in a metal box," he wanted to stand and stretch but was too lazy, "this is not what I imagined a life of adventure to be like."

"Life is not going to be easy." He replied, "it will take you to places that you are not familiar or comfortable with," he went on, "it is down to you to take what life has to offer and do your best with it," Adrian turned to Grandpa, "You cannot let your life wither away. This gift called life cannot be squandered. If you do, then it is a disserve to life itself.

Adrian was silent, but his mind raced in the silent void that is space. Boredom could always be a killer for a traveller, explorers and even soldiers; nothing to do, see, eat and little more to talk about. The long drive into the wild was often the loneliest. The isolation gripped at people and squeezed to their very core; and space was no different. This is something that Grandpa had not calculated and considered nor was it something that Adrian had ever encountered in his book: the sheer vastness and distances of space.

"If you travel for a million years in one direction you'd barley see 1% of the universe," Grandpa guessed, "at any one moment, you cannot even see 1% of the total amount of stars that even exist," as he gazed up at the stars, it was his turn to relax and take his mind of things and it was starting to slip away. The stared out the windows as they relaxed on their beds; the sun, planets, comets, shooting stars and other cosmic commuters passed them by in the far-flung reaches of space. An eerie stillness lingered in the universe like a bad mist, broken only by the rude strangers such as asteroids or even; a spaceship.

But one light started to stand out from the others - a small flicker of silvery-white radiance gleamed in the distance, like as shiny coin flicking and bouncing light towards you from underwater obscured by the gentle wave.

"Oh," said Grandpa.

"What?" asked Adrian having finished his dinner and looking for somewhere to put the plate.

"I think-" Grandpa replied holding in his breath, "- that is it," pointing in the distance out the window. Adrian stood and tried to see what he was talking about but then he saw it too; a perfect pale circle starting to welcome them in. Its gravity was first to welcome them as they began to jolt and jitter, waking Woody up as he was quite content to relax, eat and sleep while aboard. Grandpa jumped from the window to the control panels, as Adrian started to glance out the window but then joined Grandpa. They stood over the controls as they were starting to approach their destination, but Adrian did not know how to use the controls and Grandpa did not know how to land. Neither of them knew what to do next.

They drifted closer and closer to the white barren oasis suspended in space by invisible strings, but they did not know how to slow down. The white pearl in the sky was getting bigger and bigger but they were not going slower and slower. Grandpa began to panic inside but was calm on the outside, Adrian on the other hand, was panicking on the outside and calm on the inside. Woody was raising his head and wanted to be indifferent but even the gravity of the situation impacted him. Grandpa pulled the controls, adjusted the rudders and thrashed at the control panel pressing and stamping on any button that would help hinder their speed. But the spaceship was getting ahead of itself and was bearing down on the pale golf ball in the sky. It began to shake and jolt immaturely yet aggressively as though it wanted to land headfirst into the rock.