Mother

"Either you run the day or the day runs you"
-Jim Rohn

"I'm not trusting her that woman still hasn't been in touch with me since I left England.  A phone call or a text message would have been nice to get from her. What am I saying this is the same woman who when I got sick didn't even ask me if I was ok. Who didn't enquired how I was doing after my first surgery".

"You're in a good place now your wedding is coming up let go of your anger towards her. I know it's hard to but try".

"I'll try, so changing the subject not so subtly Antonio is going to be a Duke after the wedding?"

"Lucky for us as the Crown Princess you're already a Duchess as is your birth right. Antonio will take the dukedom your father relinquished when he became king and you took the female version of it. He's just going to be given the male version of  your duchess title".

"If he's given that title what happens when I'm queen and my heir if a boy is automatically given the title his father has?"

"When you're queen you can bestow a new title on Antonio besides his new consort title will be more prestigious than the princely dukedom one he will get in couple weeks anyway".

"Antonio is excited for his dukedom and he's looking forward to the private ceremony where he receives it. Are you coming to his confirmation into the Danish church on Saturday?"

"I'm, it's an important step he's taking he grow up catholic and he's changing his religion for you. How many people are coming to the party afterwards?"

"About sixty people including his siblings and parents, I bet you're looking forward to seeing them again Grandpa".

"I'm, that boy really is giving up a lot for you tell me how's university going?"

"Good, I know to keep up my accountancy registration I will be working just the amount of hours needed to keep it. As a secret employee with a firm working from home with my salary being donated to charity. Our subjects will assume that I'm a full-time working  royal".

"Once you graduate you will be a full-time working royal".

"With a side job not even my private secretary knows about", says Debbie.

"It has to be that way for now", says her grandfather.

Debbie looks at her watch, "I've to go I need to finish up a project for one of my classes".

The day Antonio's parents and siblings arrived for his baptism and confirmation into the Danish church Debbie threw a dinner to celebrate the occasion. She knew that her uncle and his family wouldn't be at the dinner or baptism.

Her father explained as she and Antonio were soon to be the Crown Princess couple of the country.  His sibling was too low down in the pecking order and the day was for senior members of the royal families only. As Antonio's parents were king and queen and his sister was a Crown Princess. It made no sense to have all of the Jensen  family there. It did make sense however for all of Antonio's family to be there of course.

The day of the baptism went well and Debbie's father organised a special dinner for the occasion. The table was filled with paella, tapas and other assortment of Spanish food Diego loved. Debbie chatted to Maria and the queen about the wedding plans. Her father made a speech thanking Antonio for loving his daughter and how he knew she was in good hands now. He also welcomes him into the family then Antonio's father get up and made a speech welcoming Debbie to their family. He surprised her and Antonio by giving them an apartment in the palace in Spain to use whenever they wanted and a country resident as well.

Debbie hugs the Spanish king, "Thank you so much Debora my boy is happy and that's because of you", he whispers to her.

When dinner was over both Debbie and Antonio's fathers left the table with their grandfathers. Like always when the group got together it felt like a real family to Debbie. Victoria and her aunt didn't always make socialising together as a family pleasant. Although in public at family gatherings they were always respectful and courteous to her.  Debbie knew her aunt always hated curtsying to her, so did Victoria she thought.

One week before the wedding Debbie's mother arrives she looked just like Debbie remembers her. She was around five foot seven inches tall with a warm caramel skin complexion. She had hazel eyes and her hair wasn't African-American but looked coolie as her mother would say. It was hair you expected to see on a mixed race person.

When her mother arrived Debbie walk to her room to say hello to her and to see if she needed anything. Her mother was unpacking and didn't see her enter the room.

"Hi mum".

Debbie's mother stops unpacking her things and turn and look at her.

"Debbie, I mean your Royal Highness". She curtsy to Debbie who sits on a chair.

"Why didn't you ever tell me the truth?"

"How do you tell someone they're a princess".

"Easy you sit them down and open your mouth".

"I'm sorry".

"For what exactly treating me like I was a pest in your life not telling me my father was alive or not telling me you had to be paid to not abort me.  Maybe the apology is for treating me like crap, not calling or coming to see me after my life changed forever because of Crohn's Disease. Not coming to see me in hospital or at home after my bowel resection. What exactly are you sorry for?"

"All of it I should have treated you better and been there for you".

"Dad gave you a lot of money so I don't understand why you latched on to those rich men".

"I wanted to forget everything".

"What the lap of luxury you were living in or the vast sums of money you had?"

"Your father, I wanted to forget him I didn't cheat on him whatever he may have told you. Yes I kissed that man but I stopped before it went too far. Your grandfather set me up he's not a good man and no mattered how much I pleaded with your father he wouldn't take me back. Your grandfather poisoned your father against me. You reminded me of him your father I mean you're the spitting image of him. I couldn't be nice to you because to show you any type of love would be like showing him love and after he hurt me he didn't deserve any love"

"I wasn't my father,  mother and regardless of how your relationship ended you were the parent and I was the child. Your love for me should have overridden any hate you had for him. Guess what mum I'm a human being with wants and feelings not your punching bag. I was a child that needed her mother thank god I had two good nannies that the palace employed to take care of me. They showered me with attention, love and affection. By the way I know dad was sending me money and you took it".

Debbie's mother seems shocked that she knew that information .  Debbie get up from the chair she was siting in, "If there's anything you need just ring the bell, a maid will be available to you".

Debbie leaves her mother's room and stands outside it and starts taking deep breaths she was very upset. She collects herself then walk back to her room.  She makes sure her face didn't show any distress so the staff couldn't tell something was wrong. When she walked into her apartment she saw Antonio looking at her face. He saw just how upset she was and walked over to her embracing her.

She cries on his shoulder, "She truly didn't want me Antonio. I had hoped that there was a tiny chance because she used to tell me I was pretty that she loved and wanted me. I was wrong she dislikes me because I looked like my dad".

"I'm sorry darling just remember you have people that love and want you now. We get married in a week don't let her take your joy from you. You should be running around like a headless chicken getting things ready for the wedding. Not getting upset over someone who never gave you a thought. Enjoy the excitement of your upcoming wedding you're getting married".

Debbie wipes her eyes, "You're right I'm very excited for our wedding. I'm going to see your sisters and talk about my dress. My English cousins are here I need to go see them as well. Thank you for your support".

"Anytime".

Antonio follows Debbie into their bedroom and watches as she reapply her makeup before she leaves him alone.