Chapter 85

I almost snap my neck with the force I use to turn back to the waitress. "Thank you," I pant out and take the receipt she hands me.

I move over to a table in the far corner. Damien joins me and sits down on the chair opposite mine.

I purposely avoid his gaze by checking my phone for any messages.

I open one from Alejandro. Yeah, I could never really bring myself to block him.

It reads: it was nice seeing u again after so long.

I suck my lower lip into my mouth. Losing Alejandro hurt me a lot. He has a big part in why I constantly push people away now.

We were so close. He was my best friend and the brother I never had. We hung out every day I was in school. There wasn't a day that went by where we didn't talk. Yet he chose education and finding a girl over me. The girl he called his little sister.

What confuses me to this day is that he's still best friends with Richard. Worst of all, at the time, I put up with my best friend's ex because of him.

'BURDEN!' The voices scream at me.

I reply: same <3

And then I open my mum's message: bring your sisters McDonald's on your way back.

I reply: I will.

"Large black coffee and a double chocolate chip frappe!" The waitress shouts.

The sudden sound causes me to startle.

I'm about to stand up when Damien says. "Stay. I'll get it."

I nod, heart still in my throat.

A moment later he returns with his coffee and my
frappuccino. My mouth waters at the sight.

"Thank you." I make quick work of the paper straw and take a huge gulp. Sighing loudly as I close my eye and sag back in my seat.

I will never ever get tired of ordering this.

Damien's knee lightly brushes mine under the table and I involuntarily jump, startled. I forgot he was here.

His shoulders shake with silent laughter.

My cheeks heat and I look away, smiling shyly around the straw.

After a while of drinking in silence, a question that has been bubbling inside my head ever since I saw him and Hayden rises. "How do you know Hayden?"