Chapter 130

"It's the only way I can keep Hannah safe. He threatened to..." Hayden pauses and my heart starts beating wildly. It's so loud, I wonder if they can hear it.

"...You know... a... and beat her up. I told her I have enemies- fuck that, she fucking knows I do. Yet she still wouldn't agree to have a guard drive her around. I don't know what else to fucking do."

I gasp loud enough to wake the dead. Someone threatened to beat up Hannah?! Along with something else that's seemingly so bad Hayden is unable to say it out loud. I hope the thing isn't what I think it is. Please God don't be what I think it is.

Hannah turns around and presses a shaking finger against her lips. If it weren't for her shaking hands I would've never guessed she was afraid, her features all too composed to be anything other than masked tranquillity.

I mouth sorry and she turns back around to eavesdrop.

I suppose they didn't hear me because Damien asks, "you think she's not going to notice a bodyguard following her around?"

My eyes almost pop out of there sockets. Hayden has a bodyguard following Hannah?!

Okay, if I'm being completely honest, I'm not mad about it since someone threatened to beat her up along with god knows what else. And where it goes for the police, if he didn't tell them I would understand why because they don't do anything. But even if they did, Hannah told me the guy she owed money has an extremely good barrister for a farther. With the help of Sarah, we found out a girl complained to the police about him but it ended up twisting around onto her, making her situation ten times worse with the guy and legally.

God Hannah, what have you gotten yourself into?

However, I know if the roles were reversed I would be angry, but that's my best friend and if anything happens to her I would die. Her safety is always a top priority.

Hannah doesn't share the sentiment; her fingers cease their shaking and ball into tight fists, a massive indication shes extremely pissed. I understand where she's coming from because like I said, if the roles were reversed, I would also be pissed. Funny how life works.

"They've been keeping an eye on her for the past few months and she hasn't noticed. They're good at what they do. Why—."

Hannah surprises me by jumping out of hiding. I, on the other hand, stay rooted to my spot, too afraid of facing Damien when my eyes still feel scorching hot but quickly decide against it since she wouldn't be if I was in her position.

I hide behind Hannah which is ridiculous since she's two inches shorter than me, maybe three. Yeah, definitely three. Okay, I'm going off-topic.

"H...Hannah?" Hayden stutters. "I... I was j...just."

"Y-y- you were what?" Hannah mimics Hayden. "Cat got your tongue?"

"Look it's not what you think."

"Oh really? And what do I think Mr Hunter?" Oh crap, we're going on last name basis. Knowing Hannah that's bad. Like really bad.

As Hayden and Hannah bicker, I keep my eyes pinned on the ground because I can feel Damien's eyes on me. I'm afraid to look up, even for my best friend. Though I would if I knew she needed me, which I know she doesn't. Hannah needs someone with her spiritually, —something she'll never admit out loud — not someone to back her up or butt in, she likes doing all the talking herself and comforts in the fact that if her world collapsed around her she wouldn't be alone.

"Angel—."

"Don't you dare!" Hannah stops being my shield when she steps up to Hayden — not that she was much of a shield with her short height anyway. "Don't you dare call me angel. Why would y - No let's start off with who's threatening to beat me up, shall we? Because it's me they're threatening and I have the right to know who's threatening to beat ME up."

Hayden! Oh my gosh, Hayden said he has enemies! Why didn't I realise this sooner? Could that mean the guy Hannah owed money didn't threaten Hannah through Hayden? Then who? Could he be worse than that guy? The guy who sent Maven after Hannah and ruined multiple girls and guys lives...

My breathing starts picking up. No! Not now! I chastise myself. I need to be calm for Hannah.

I debate interrupting her and Hayden to ask...

Nope, scratch that out of your head Hazel. I can't ask her now, I'll have to once we're alone in the car. Though, if I hadn't been selfish and focused on making sure Damien didn't see my stupid eyes, I would have acknowledged what Hannah and Hayden were saying.

From my peripheral, I catch Hayden looking around, perplexed. I know without a doubt people are watching us but unlike Hayden, Hannah doesn't care. When mad, she'll scream and shout her lungs out without a second thought toward who's watching or who's around.

Sarah and I have first-hand experience. Under different circumstances, we sometimes love this crazy side of her. Sometimes.

"Let's talk about this outside," Hayden moves to grab Hannahs arm.

"Don't touch me." Hannah steps out of his reach and bumps into me. I catch myself against the wall but I guess after having experienced my extreme clumsiness multiple times, Damien doesn't want to take the risk of me falling and places his hand on my back.

My body immediately ignites from the touch and without meaning to, my eyes jump up to Damien's. In a single heartbeat, his expression morphs from worry to anger, his eyes turning into literal fire bolts.

Crap he's seen my eyes.

Luckily, Hannah's voice catches my eye. "Oh I'm sorry, am I embarrassing you? Should have thought about that before you got people to fucking stalk me."

"I did it to protect you!" Hayden shouts, his calm demeanour lost in the broken pieces of his and Hannah's relationship.

I'm disconcerted between my best friend and the boy I love, my mind an erratic mess. I can feel Damien's eyes searing holes into my body, a massive confirmation he knows I've been crying because of him. I so desperately want to lie and tell him I haven't but can't because my best friends breaking up with her boyfriend hours after getting back with him. Being selfish is not an option.

"And I said if you keep any more fucking secrets from me we're done." Hannah grabs my arm. "Cmon Hazel, let's go."

We've just stepped outside when Damien grabs my hand...