Chapter Ten

The next day, I wake up to the sound of things shuffling around. I peer over the covers to look at the clock on the night table. 6:34AM. I look over to the side of the room where the culprit was closing his drawers.

"What are you doing up this early?" I groan, sitting up on my elbow.

"Why are you?" Jack shoots back, zipping up his jacket.

"Where are you going?" I ask, trying to keep my eyes from shutting.

Jack lets out a breath, "Just go back to sleep, Aislynn." He slips out the door without another glance.

There was something about his voice. It sounded different, but I couldn't figure out what it was. As I drift back to sleep, I realized it was tiredness. Also, he used my full name and I am going to punch him for that.

I wake up at around ten thirty and look over to Jack's side of the room. He isn't there. After I am done doing my usual morning routine, I walk into the living room where Joseph and Austin were sitting.

"Morning, Ash." Joseph greets me.

"Hey." I grab a glass and fill it with juice.

"Want to go to the mall, Ash?" Austin asks me.

I finish drinking my water before I answer, "Yeah, sure. Are we going to wake the others up?"

"Nah. Just us." Austin gets up from his seat and walks towards me.

"Us? As in you and I?" I say as I rinse my glass.

"Actually, it's you and me," Joseph looks over at us.

"You and me are going to the mall?" I joke, fully knowing what Joseph meant.

"You and I are going to the mall." Austin says.

"Who am I going to the mall with?"

"Austin," Joseph says, but when you said us, the correct way would've been-"

"It's too early for proper grammar. We're just going to leave now." Austin interrupts Joseph.

"It's never too early for grammar. "Joseph mumbles to himself.

"Why aren't you coming along, Joseph?" I set the glass back on the tray beside the other glasses.

"I got some work to do." He glances at Austin.

"Aw, come on. It's just for a little while."

"Just leave him be." Austin opens the front door and looks at me.

My eyes shift back and forth between them, "What's going on?"

"Nothing," Austin looks at Joseph again, "We haven't eaten yet, let's go have breakfast."

"Bye, Ash." Joseph glances at me before going back to his work.

"Okay then," I say, still feeling skeptical, "See you later." I follow Austin out, shutting the door behind me.

I look around as we walk, checking out the new neighbourhoods that weren't here two years ago. Our school was built in the newer part of our town, where it used to mostly be empty fields and dirt. We kids always came to this area to play because there was nothing in our way. Now everything is houses and road. I felt a little sad knowing the place where the guys and I would play tag is now occupied by a house. It felt like a part of my childhood decided to grow up and be useful. That part didn't even make sense, I thought to myself, but feelings usually don't.

"Hey!" A voice cuts through my thoughts. I look up and see a blonde girl walking towards us.

Austin stops to be polite so the girl could catch up to us. She wasn't even walking fast nor made any effort to get to us faster. I cross my arms, impatient. I still haven't had breakfast yet and this girl is interrupting. Austin looks at me, trying not to laugh at the annoyance written on my face.