Chapter Five

“Can you stop staring at me?” Jack says without looking up from his cereal.

     “I was not.”

     “Yes, you were.”

     “How would you know if I was staring if you weren’t staring back?”

     “Ooh,” Nick said, “She’s got you now.”

     “So you admit, you were staring at me?”

     I blush and glare at him, hard, “No!” I continue eating my toasted bread. Well, in all that’s honest, I was staring at him, only because I was trying to figure out what’s different about him. Yesterday, I saw many sides of Jack I’ve never thought I seen, especially his backside. From what I heard, he played the guitar quite beautifully, and I’m curious to know how long he’s been hiding that. The only other person I knew who could play the guitar like that was Logan.

     “I’m going.” Jack gets up from the counter, grabs his bag and exits the dormitory.

     “Wow, you’re not even going to wait for us?” Joseph yells after him. No answer, he’s already gone.

     “There’s still like, forty minutes until class starts,” Logan says as he smears peanut butter onto his piece of toasted bread, “And he usually doesn’t arrive until the moment the bell rings.”

     “Who knows?” Austin says, pouring milk into his cereal.

     After we finished breakfast, we decided to go find our classes so we wouldn’t be late getting lost. We went down in the elevator, out the building and towards the school. Joseph and I wave goodbye to the others and went in search of our math class.

     “Let’s sit together.” Joseph smiles at me.

     “Sure.” I smile back.

     We made it to homeroom five minutes prior to the start. We started to make our way to two empty seats but the teacher stopped us.

     “Hello, I’m Mr. Donaldson, what are your names?” He greets us.

     “Joseph Martinez.” Joseph says.

     “Aislynn Taylor, but I prefer Ash.” I say.

     “The seating plan is by alphabetical order, so I’m afraid you two cannot sit together,” He looks at the piece of paper he was holding, “Mr. Martinez, your seat is row three, seat four, and Miss Taylors is row four seat one.”

     Joseph and I look at each other before going to our seats. Since I got the window seat, I decide to look out. I squint at a tiny figure that was coming towards the school at an alarming speed. I perceive more people as they come in into the classroom and take their seats order by Mr. Donaldson. I took out my water bottle and drank from it before turning back to the window, but the figure was gone. Just then, the bell rings and I could hear the teacher close the door as I’m still looking at the scenery.

     “Just in time, mister…” Mr. Donald trails off.

     “Jack.” says a familiar voice. I inwardly groan. Damn this class for alphabetical order.

     There was silence, so I look over and see the two just staring at each other.

     “What?” Jack asks.

     “Jack what?” Mr. Donaldson urges.

     “You’re looking at me, how should I know what?” The class sniggers and I exchange looks with Joseph. I could see Mr. Donaldson mentally face palm.