Chapter 81 - The Inquisitorial Squad

Start from the beginning

 She knocked on Snape's office door, and went in on his command, sitting down in the chair opposite his desk. "So, Miss Dursley," Snape began, "Firstly, you seem to have good grades for the most part. History of Magic and Astronomy could do with some improvement. Predicted As in Astronomy and History of Magic, Es in Ancient Runes, Herbology and Potions and Os in Arithmancy, Transfiguration, Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts. Have you got any idea what field you'd be interested in?"

 "Not really, no," Al said, wanting nothing more than to leave.

 "Well, what subjects do you enjoy?" Snape asked impatiently.

 "Arithmancy, Transfiguration, Charms..." Al listed.

 "Not Defence Against the Dark Arts?" Snape asked her.

 "Well it would be a bit stupid taking that, considering we have a different teacher every year," Al snapped.

 "Hmm," Snape said, "I seem to remember you used to be particularly adept at Potions?"

 Al didn't really know what to say. Oh, yeah, but you make it rubbish. "Er...thanks, Professor."

 "Have you considered teaching?" Snape asked, "Or research?"

 "Well there aren't that many teaching posts available," Al said, "But I didn't see any leaflets on research."

 "Some potions firms or book publicists will pay for researchers," Snape informed her, "If you were interested in teaching then a career in writing textbooks for people might be suitable for you."

 "Right," Al said, "What publishers are there?"

 "Obscurus books and Whizz Hard books are the most famous. There's the Ministry Press associated with the Ministry of Magic. The Daily Prophet have a publishing firm attached to them," Snape said and Al pulled a face, "Gringotts bank too. Most big businesses will see it as an investment. So what NEWTs would you be interested in? I think with your ability and some hard work you could easily manage six or seven and get high grades in them."

 "Oh right," Al said, "Well, Arithmancy, Transfiguration and Charms are my favourites."

 "I would seriously consider taking two of Potions, Herbology and Defence Against the Dark Arts," Snape pushed, "They are all vital and highly commended. You're consistently getting high Es in Potions and Herbology and Os in Defence, whereas your last grade in Transfiguration was a low E.

"You might also want to consider some of the new electives available at NEWT level. We need at least five students on a course for it to go ahead. There's Alchemy, Ancient Studies, Art, Ghoul Studies, Magical Theory, and Music. Would any of those interest you?"

"What's Ancient Studies?" Al asked.

"The study of old magic," Snape informed her, "only available to students who achieve an E or higher in Ancient Runes, and take Ancient Runes at NEWT level, so you would be eligible to apply." Al wasn't sure about that one, but it might help with the horcruxes.

"What about Alchemy?" she asked, having heard of that before.

"That particular course doesn't have a minimum student limit," Snape said, "And is available to students who receive an O in Potions and Transfiguration and study them at NEWT level, so again you could be eligible. The course concerns the practice of transforming one raw material to another. You may be familiar with the Philosopher's Stone - that was created by alchemists." This sounded fascinating, but Al couldn't imagine getting an O in Potions.

"What's Magical Theory?" Al asked.

"The study of the theory of magic," Snape said, growing increasingly exasperated, "It requires an O in Arithmancy and an E in Charms and Transfiguration, and you must take those courses at NEWT level. You would be eligible."

"OK," Al said, having a think, "Could you register my interest in Alchemy and Magical Theory?"

"Yes," Snape sighed, "Thank you for coming."

"Thanks," Al said, before rolling her eyes and leaving. She hated Snape.

*****

 "Excuse me," Al said, shoving through the crowd that had gathered in the corridor, Draco right behind her.

 Al looked into the circle that the students had formed to see Fred and George stood in the centre, Umbridge glaring at them and looking smug, and a slight look of panic on their faces. Filch came tearing through from the other direction, sending students flying and waving a bit of parchment in the air. "I've got it!" he shouted, practically skipping and looking stupid. "And I've got the whips ready!" Whips? That couldn't be legal! Al looked nervously at George, but despite the look on his face, he had a glint of mischief in his eye. Oh no.

 "You two are about to learn what happens to wrongdoers in my school," Umbridge declared. Her school? Her school? It would be Voldemort's school before that happened.

 "You know what, Fred?" George said, "I don't think we are."

 "I think we've outgrown the bounds of academic achievement," Fred continued.

 Before Umbridge could say anything, they'd raised their wands and shouted, "Accio brooms!" There was a thunder deep in the castle, and Al knew she'd have to duck moments before she did. The iron bolt trailing behind one of them hit Draco in the head and many students including Al laughed.

 As they mounted their brooms, George blew a kiss her way and she grinned, pretending to look around so Umbridge didn't get suspicious. "Give her hell from us, Peeves!" the twins chorused, before they rode off into the distance, with the poltergeist saluting them as they went.