22 - coffee

i stared at the guy across me as I had been doing for what felt like hours now. I was on a date at  coffee shop with some random dude. again. he liked to talk so much. he'd been rambling on about something for so long now, and I couldn't get a word in edgeways. i'd forgotten his name by this point. it didn't matter anyway. not like I was going to be interested in him anyway. I started to think about other things instead, things that to me were more important.

i snapped out of my trance when I heard somebody say my name. thinking it was my date, instantly i looked over to him, trying to look absorbed in what he was telling me. but I soon figured out that it was somebody else entirely. I looked around the environment, and was soon met with an all too familiar face.

"sean? what are you-" 

"can we talk?" I looked at him, then at my date, and then back at sean.

"who is this?" my date asked.

"he's uh...he's my friend." my date nodded slowly before looking over at sean and pushing his glasses further up his nose.

"as you can see bud, we're a little busy here, so try again later." my date then flashed him a patronising smile and turned back to me.

"anyway...what was I talking about? ah yes, the government. so as I was-" 

"we can talk now if you want!" I explained to sean to which he nodded. I stood up and began to follow him to another vacant table. we sat down, and I tried to avoid looking over at my date. I knew he was probably giving both of us the stink eye right now.

"so uh...what is it you want to speak to me about?" he looked me up and down before sighing.

"i just want to apologise for how mad I got at you that night I came to your house." wait...he was saying sorry? why the hell was he the one apologising? 

"no, i understand why you got angry. I screwed up. I shouldn't have made such a bold move on you."

"i'm sorry for ignoring your apology as well...I was just angry and...well I didn't really know what to say." i was a little offended when he ignored me like that. but still, I kind of got why.

"well...i forgive you. do you forgive me?" he nodded and smiled at me. for a moment there was silence, until I remembered a major detail.

"i saw your tweet about you and Eveline breaking up. are you okay?" he looked down and sighed.

"getting there."

"what happened?" 

"she found somebody better. and she found out about what we did..." I felt awful for being part of the reason as to why they broke up.

"i'm really sorry." I said. he smiled at me, not saying anything more on the matter. perhaps he wasn't comfortable speaking about it.

"you should go back to your date." I rolled my eyes and groaned.

"do i have to?" we both chuckled before I stood up, accepting my fate. he did the same, getting ready to leave the café.

"maybe we should catch up some time. and do it a bit better than before." I proposed. he laughed before nodding and smiling.

"yeah. that'd be fun." we smiled at each other and said goodbye, before I went back to my boring date, and he walked out of the shop doors, so quick as if he was never there to begin with.