Chapter 3: Lumen Tempus

THE WHOLE INSKEEP RESIDENCE woke up around 5 AM a day after Trevor's birthday because of an automated voice generated by their devices.

"This is the local parliament of Italy. We are here to notify you that we have received the DNA Reading test of the individual Mr. Trevor Inskeep with missing gene inheritance. With such, our response is all based upon the constitution. The said individual must surrender peacefully and no harm will be done. We are coming in less than one hour. From all directions, North, West, East, and South. Do not try to escape. There will be substantial charges if you do so. We will elaborate the situation and send further details to the relatives where the said individual will be taken, and probably live. And also the understandable reasons why. Today is October 9, 2008. Salve."

The monotonic voice stopped. Trevor rushed to his parents' room and saw her mother sobbing over the chest of his father, Augustine, a classified Upsilon individual because of his ability to store electricity in his body and project it in a designated direction. He worked for an Electricity Power company as an electricity transporter- the one who gathers electricity and puts it in a generator to be transported in another power plant- an extremely dangerous job for others but he can handle comfortably because of his immunity to being electrocuted. Trevor joined his parents in the long laying bed and sat between his parents.

"I want you to remember me always, mom and dad." That moment, Meilyn and Augustine are very certain that their child is not afraid and has accepted what his fate brought him.

"Sure, son," Augustine mumbled trying to keep in touch in the situation.

Meilyn sat straight and gazed at his husband. "You are letting him go?! There should be something we can do! I'm not living without my son!"

"Mom, please, don't make this complicated for us."

"No mother will ever let his child go."

Instinctive she is, Meilyn knows there's nothing she can do to make the government take his son away.

"If you keep me, then I will never actually be gone. Right?"

Tears rushed through the face of a mother with the thought of no longer seeing his child the next day. Augustine is shocked by the thought of it. Still, the situation is not yet in his veins.

Meilyn stopped her tears and stood up.

"I'll make some breakfast for my child."

She forced a smile on her face. Maybe it's her way of dealing with it.

She fried eggs. Sausages. Toasted bread. While crying. Her family is waiting at the table. No word is spoken.

"Seriously, I thought this is the best that I can do. To make the—" Meilyn could not help herself from crying. "Last memories of my son of his family a happy one."

Trevor thought that in no way this could be happy but he kept it for himself.

"Let's eat," Augustine said. But before they even started, a monotonic voice behind the door called their attention.

"Inskeep residence. We are sent by the government..."

Augustine rushed and hugged his family tightly. And Trevor thought,

This is home. At least he knew what home felt.