030.

Essence's POV
The next day...

"What colors do you guys have?" I said to the T-mobile people while I was at the phone store with Andre.
"The only colors we have available are black, white, green, and purple." She said and I looked at Andre.

"Don't look at me, I already got my phone." He said and I huffed.
"Ummm okay I want the white one." I said and the phone girl nodded and smiled.
"Okay I will be right back." She said going into the back.

"Sooo have you started moving out the house yet?" I said as we went to sit on the couches.
"Little by little. Mama be tryna call my bluff talking about I'll be back at the house. I'm not dealing with that lady no more." He said sliding his iPhone 11 box open.
"I don't ever know when I'll be ready to talk to that woman. I just don't understand her or what goes through her head. And with the way her and my dad been hunching, I hope she doesn't have anymore kids because she don't need any." I said and pulled out my phone to text Kash.

"You don't have to talk to her. You turn 18 in 3 months and she won't have any control over you any more. You can permanently move in with Laila if you want or you can go get an apartment next to Laila. But you don't have to have her permission to do any of that." He said and I cracked a smile at the thought of that.

"Yeah you're right, 3 months." I said sighing and leaning back on the couch.
"Last name Taylor." I heard and looked up at the phone woman who had a black box in her hand.
"Andreeee can you get me some air pods?" I said after taking the box out the woman's hand.

"No." He said bluntly making me drop my shoulders.
"Really? Some brother you are." I said and rolled my eyes.
"You just spoiled. Lemme get 2 pair of AirPods." He said to the woman and she went to the back again.
"Thank you, you're the best brother ever." I said giving him a hug.

"Yeah I know." He said and I smiled as the lady brought out 2 white boxes.
Andre paid for our phones and headphones which was a lot. Then we left back to his apartment.

1 hour later...

"Wow what do you have in here?" I groaned out while trying to pick a box up and take it up the stairs.
"Shower stuff, put that down." He said and I dropped it and he hit my arm.
"Can we take a break and order some food? I'm hungry." I said sitting down on his couch that he bought yesterday.

"Yeah what you want?" He said throwing some boxes away.
"I want a really good burger." I said out loud and my stomach growled.
"Hungry ass." He said and we laughed.

He sat down next to me and I put my feet in his lap before he knocked them off. I started to set my new phone up before the doorbell rang. Me and him both looked at each other and I looked away.
"It's your house." I said and he smacked his lips.
"I'm ordering food." He said and I mugged him a before getting up.

I zipped my jacket up cause I only had on a tank top and then opened the door.
"Oh my God." I said seeing two police officers at the door. "Hi?" I questioned and I seen Andre look at me in the corner of my eye.

"Hello, we're here for somebody by the name of Essence Taylor." The black officer said and my heart dropped.
"W-why do you need her?" I said shakily.
"She's been reported as a runaway by her mom and needs to come home with us immediately. Do you happen to know where she i-" The officer stated but I slammed the door shut.

"What is the problem Essence who was that?" Andre said as I locked the door then ran down the hallway in one of the rooms.
"Essence!" He called after me as I hid in the closet.
I pulled out my phone and dialed Jayla's number but it went straight to voicemail.
"This is Jayla, leave a message." Her voicemail called out to me then the phone beeped.