| Twenty

"YEAH, I don't think he likes me." Emery says, looking down at her magazine. Her and Harven sit on the concrete behind the school, during lunch. Both of their best friends have been stolen away.

"Tate doesn't really like anybody." Harven shrugs, sitting across from her, and eating a small burger. They look up at the same time.

"You and May got him to like you. Am I an unlikable person?" Emery gasps.

"Mm. Kinda." Harven says. Emery rolls her eyes, and continues reading her magazine. The weather proves perfect today, warm and not to windy. Which Emery like, since it keeps her magazine in place.

Harven is doing fine, until he starts choking on his burger. He coughs, frantically waving his hand in the air, trying to get Emery's attention.

Emery furrows her brows at the sight of him.

"Stop playing around." She grumbles. He shakes his head, trying to get air in with the piece of meat lodged in his throat.

She realizes he's serious, and immediately panics. She widens her eyes, trying to figure out what to do.

Emery gets behind him, and does the only thing she's seen in movies. She squeezes his stomach repeatedly, until the food comes flying out.

"Ew, Harven." She looks at it over his shoulder.

He gives her an incredulous look. "I almost died, Emery?" He takes deep breaths.

"Well, yeah." She says, returning to her spot, and resuming in reading the article. He lets out a shocked laugh.

She feels him staring at her in disbelief.

"What? I saved you didn't I?" She looks at him.
He shrugs like fair point. When he's breathing normal, Emery finds it as a good window for conversation.

"So, Lana's gone, is our alliance over?" Emery asks.

Harven raises his brows. "Well, actually Lana's coming back next week. Nothing will make her madder than to show her that her attempt failed." He cocks his head.

Emery nods. "So, one more week?"

"Eh, give it two." He shrugs.

She groans, but agrees once again.

________________

As usual, Emery and May hang out at the former's house after school.

Emery braids May's hair for fun, not minding the extra practice. In the chair, May texts with her boyfriend, who she's been with a lot lately.

"Ugh you guys are gross." Emery scrunches up her face, getting a glance at the lovey dovey messages between them.

"Hush. You're just jealous." May sighs dreamily.

"Definitely not that." Emery laughs, coming to a finish with her friend's honey hair. She ties it all together, proceeding to fall back onto the bed. She rolls her wrists, getting the stiffness out.

"What? You and Harven don't do this?" May gives her a confused look.

"What do you think?" Emery says flatly. May giggles knowingly.

"Then you and Harven have finished your mission?" May asks, admiring her elaborate hairstyle in the mirror.

"Erm- well, in two weeks." Emery responds.

May furrows her brows. "But Lana is gone...?"

"Well she's coming back, yay right? Anyways, Harven said that two weeks would be good, so I just went with it." She shrugs.

May nods slowly. "You just went with Harven?" She gives an amused look.

"Well- yes." Emery looks uncomfortable.

Something is wrong with me.