| Eleven

"THE DANCE is in a month, Emery." May says, endlessly scrolling online, looking for a half decent dress. Their annual fall dance is coming fast.

"Which is plenty of time to shop." Emery reasons, slipping on her work uniform, and securing her lengthy hair in a low bun.

Emery refuses to shop for a dress, wanting to give Lana some time to crawl back to Harven. She can't go to the dance with him. Then she has to dance and touch him....again.

Gross.

"We're going shopping this weekend." May finishes, hurrying out of the door before Emery can object. Emery huffs, and makes her way out when she sees the time on the clock.

When she walks through the cafe door, she's hit with a delicious aroma. She furrows her brows and investigates further into the kitchen.

She finds Hallie, butting into a freshly baked cinnamon roll, glazed over in icing. Emery laughs.

"What re you doing?" She asks.

Hallie's face is a mess, and some even touches the bottom of her nose.

"I made some for us. Surprise?" Hallie shrugs, handing Emery her own roll. She gladly takes it.

"Thank you, Hal." She says, taking a big bite of the delicious pastry. No doubt, it gets her face messy, too.

Emery hears the bell of the door, signaling the first customer of the day. Hallie and Emery's eyes widen at the same time, knowing they had lost track of time.

Emery hurries out, roll still in hand. When she reaches the counter she's met with Kade, which makes her cheeks heat up even more.

"You got a little something." He gestures to her cheek, chuckling.

Emery scurries to the back, and wipes her face and hands completely clean of the treat. She wasn't spared her pink, hot cheeks though.

She returns, smiling awkwardly at him.

"Um- can I get you anything?" She shuffles her feet around on the tile floor. He scratches the back of his head, looking away to contain his smile that he's struggling with not to be laughter.

"Yeah," He says slowly, " An expresso to go, please." He says. She nods quickly, retreating
to the coffee machine, desperately trying to escape his gaze. She feels it on her back as she makes the brew, though.

Hallie slides up beside her whispering, "Who's that pretty specimen?" She bumps Emery's shoulder.

Emery shushes her. "Oh- that's Kade."

"And you know him how? Because I want one." Hallie glances back.

Emery laughs. "He's one of Harven's friends, I guess."

Emery walks back to the counter, handing the hot cup to Kade. She almost drops it when his fingers brush hers. She retracts her hand quickly.

He slides the payment across the counter.

"See you later, Emery." With a final look, he walks away and down the street. Emery watches until he's out of sight.

"Oh my god, you don't have to be so obvious about it." Hallie comes into place beside her.

Emery furrows her brows. "About what?"

Hallie laughs. "Come on, you like him!" She says.

Emery shakes her head. "No I don't. He's nice, that's all. It's not like I want a boyfriend anyway." She starts to place out some napkins.

But I do have one, she thinks, a fake one.

She doesn't think she should do that to Harven, because she's the one who said not to date anyone else. It would be cruel. But Harven has been so much worse.

It's not like she can do anything when she's "dating" Harven. But, Emery doesn't think it should be too long until it's over.

It's been a long time since Emery's had a crush.

Do I like Kade?

_______________

Later that night, Emery sits on her bed. She can hear the shouts of her parents yet again, louder than before. She's tried the radio and her violin, but nothing has completely blocked out their shouting.

It makes Emery overwhelmed. Her arms find themselves securely wrapped around her torso, and she bounces her leg nonstop. She hates arguments and loud ones at that.

She hates being alone with her thoughts right now.

She runs down the stairs, catching a glimpse of her raging parents. They don't even notice that she's gone right out the door.

Once outside, she stalks over to Harven's house, thinking he's about the best she's gonna get right now. She knocks on the door lightly.

Harven answers this time, confused. Emery doesn't look up at him, embarrassed that she came over here in the first place.

"C-can I come in? Just for a little bit?" She asks.

He nods, wondering why her tough exterior is not up as much.

They head up to his room, where she sits on the ground and closes her eyes.

"It's so quiet in here." She says.

He takes a seat beside her. "Except when I play that "obnoxious" music that you hate." He smiles.

She chuckles lightly. "Except for then."

"What's wrong? You never come here." He asks. She opens her eyes, looking over to him.

"I'm setting a bomb in your room to get back at you for all those years of pranks." She nodded.

"Well. You shouldn't have told me. Where's your element of surprise?" He rolls his eyes.

She shakes her head.

"Really, Emery. What happened?" He asks.

She furrows her brows because he's actually curious and maybe, just maybe, he actually cares.

She hesitates. "My parents. They won't stop yelling. They argue so much. I needed to get away, I can't listen to it." She scratches at her arm.

"Hey, Emery." Harven says quietly, taking her nail away from doing anymore damage to her skin. She looks up.

"My parents used to do that all the time. It never stopped. They knew the only way to stop it was to separate, and they did. They're much happier now. And I know it must feel like it's your fault in some way, but it's not. They're just figuring out things in their own way. I think if you talk to them, they'll come around. Funny that parents need the push of their children to stop being childish." He says. She chuckles at that.

Emery sees the remnants of his own hurt in his deep blue eyes.

She realizes that her hand is still in his. She doesn't pull away this time, just squeezes it once.

"Thank you." She smiles softly.

"You can always come here. If you want." He shrugs and looks away. She nods.

How weirdly comforting, Emery sighs.