13| A Day of Gratitude

The following couple of weeks after the party were some of the best Zelda had had in a long time. Once she sobered up the next morning, she realized she really did feel like she got some closure from that spin the bottle/truth or dare concoction Peach and Roy had invented. It was also kind of nice to know her feelings about Link were out in the open, though she was slightly embarrassed with how drunk Zelda had acted in front of him.

With all her best friends' blessings and reassurances that it wasn't too soon to move on, she was back to texting Link daily and hanging out a few times a week. He was so much fun to be around and she loved spending time with him.

Practices and games were a little awkward with Samus at first, after Ike had revealed that he still had feelings for Zelda and Zelda felt the same during the Halloween party, but she kept her distance and so did Ike. Though she still saw them at lunch and in the halls, neither made an effort to say anything to her. Was this whole debacle finally over?

It was the Tuesday before Thanks Giving, the last day they had to go to school for that week before they got the much needed break. With some of the college courses she took for her senior year and all the drama in her life, Zelda was exhausted with this semester already. It would be nice to get some extra days off that weren't thanks to a concussion or suspension.

The final bell of the day rang, much to Zelda's relief. She chattered with a couple of her friends at her locker as she loaded her stuff up into her backpack. They all planned to do something fun this weekend together and wished each other a happy, food-filled Thanks Giving. They parted their ways in the parking lot, each heading to their individual cars.

Once she got home, she completed the few assignments that she had and then plopped down on her bed in relief. Now she would have the entire break just to relax, hang out with her friends, and hopefully actually spend some real quality time with her parents over the holiday. Thanks Giving was always up in the air at the Gaepora house, what with her dad being constantly on call for emergency surgeries at the hospital and her mother relentlessly traveling to meet with other designers or members of her team and conduct whatever business deals that always seemed to be so important.

She found herself dozing off with thoughts of delicious mashed potatoes drowned in gravy, warm, buttery rolls, and pumpkin pie topped with sweet whipped cream.

She awoke with a grumbling stomach and the smell of food in the air. Wait, was someone actually cooking? She immediately shot up out of bed and ran downstairs.

"Mom!" She yelled gleefully as she spotted her standing in the kitchen. "You're home!"

"Zelda!" Her mother replied warmly, pulling her daughter into a hug. "It's been much too long, darling."

Zelda's looks took strongly after her mother's. They shared the same long, straight, blonde hair, big, blue eyes, and slender figures. Her mom looked like she could be Zelda's older sister, though some of her youthful appearance could be credited to her plastic surgeon.

"Ah, my two beautiful girls." Zelda's dad said contently, setting his wallet and keys on the counter as he entered the open kitchen.

"Dad?! You're home too?" Zelda whipped around in bewilderment. It was very rare for both her parents to be home in time for dinner. She ran over and gave her father a hug as well.

"Of course, I wouldn't want to miss your mother cooking dinner for once." He joked, earning a sarcastic glare from his wife.

"I'm just kidding of course, honey." He added quickly after, walking over and giving her a quick peck.

"You better be or you'll be going to bed hungry tonight!" She retorted, though a grin tugged on her gloss plastered lips.

Zelda was still shocked to have her parents home so early. They usually managed to be present on most holidays, but Thanks Giving was still a couple days away. It was almost too good to be true.