Prologue

3rd person pov

"Brother NO!!"

Dream's shrill scream rung out as his brother bit into the bitter, negative apple.

The people surrounded the tree, stepping on Dream to close in on the small, purple clad skeleton.

The angry shouts of the civilians made Nightmare panic. He didn't want to die to those pointy pitchforks and torches, especially not in front of Dream's eyes.

Nightmare may be angry at Dream, but forcing his own brother to watch his death? He knows that's too much.

Nightmare started to cough up a thick black liquid, before scarfing the next apple down.

The liquid poured out of his eyes, and dripped from his nosehole. Goop started to dominate his purple clothing.

Our little negative guardian didn't stop there.

He ate the third apple, and tentacles erupted from his mouth and back. Dream could only watch his brother in horror, his body unmoving and his bones rattling silently.

The people watched in shock as Nightmare ate the fourth and final apple, before hysterical laughter echoed throughout Dreamtale.

Dream's precious brother was gone, and in his place was a tall, tar-covered figure.

Nightmare clutched his head as he laughed and laughed. The people took a step back. They weren't so confident anymore.

Finally, his maniacal fit of laughter died down as his one teal eyelight stared at the civilians of Dreamtale with insanity and malice. His smile twisted into a wide, sick grin as he saw all the faces of everyone around him.

"Ahaha... what's wrong? You're scared of little ol' me? That's hilarious..."

His tendrils were spazzing and whipping around, as if they had minds of their own.

"Y-YOU'RE A MONSTER!!"

Nightmare looked at the rabbit monster that had shouted that at him.

His smile only grew, and his eyelight dilated as he stabbed them through the gut, causing them to crumble to dust instantly.

"HAHAHA... I'm not JUST a monster...
I'M THE MONSTER YOU ALL SHAPED ME INTO!!"

Then, genocide erupted as Nightmare killed every living being in sight, Nightmare breaking out into hysterical laughter once again, the bitter hatred pulsing through his bones.

Oh, how the revenge felt so sweet to him.

"NIGHTMARE PLEASE STOP!!"

Cried Dream as he finally managed to snap himself out of his horror-stricken state as he watched everyone die before his eyes.

It was too late. One last scream rang out before utter silence took over.

The only thing audible was the howling wind, and Nightmare's ragged breathing.

Dream stood up on shaking legs, and Nightmare smirked at Dream, insanity visible on his face.

"B-brother... why...?!"

Dream said in a weak voice as tears spilled from his eyes.

"...why? WHY?! AHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE ASKING ME WHY? THEY BEAT ME EVERY DAY AND MADE MY LIFE HELL FOR SOMETHING I COULDN'T CONTROL!! THEY'RE SIMPLY GETTING WHAT THEY DESERVE... AND YOU SHOULD TOO!"

Nightmare said as he shot his tar-covered tendrils at Dream.

Before they reached him, Dream sighed.