Chapter 5

Sans decided to change the subject. "Here." He went over to the table and grabbed the hotdog. He held them out to her. "There was more but...I ate one while you were showering."

Frisk stared at the hotdog a bit. She didn't take it yet. She was a bit spaced out. Her mind was racing from anxious thoughts.

Sans waved his free hand in front of her face.

"Oh." Frisk delicately took the hotdog from Sans. Not realizing her hand subtly brushed against his. Sans felt how soft her skin felt. She looked up at him with a kind smile. "You have my gratitude."

"Just eat the food." He sat down on the far end of the couch so he wasn't too close to her.

Chomp.

Frisk took her first bite. Recollections started to pour into her head from 7 years ago. How Sans would joke about hotdogs. He'd place one on her head and she'd get annoyed that there would be crumbs all over her hair.

Tears started to pour out of Frisk's eyes. Making the hotdog taste saltier. "This brings back memories..."

Her reminiscences of those times were a lot happier than Sans's. Even if she missed them, she still saw them as good times. Sans didn't think so fondly of them. That time before everything fell apart always put him in a sour mood looking back on his past self.

Knowing that Frisk missed those times he was able to feel it too. Those memories did hold something that was dear to him. To the real him anyway. Those were times when everything was so much more simple and pure.

"I think I know what you mean." He still tried to mask the emotion in his voice. "I remember it too."

More tears come out with each bite. She started to giggle to herself. She just recalled something.

"What are you laughing about?" He asked in a grumpy tone.

"I mustard you a question: Do you like hot dogs?" Frisk kept laughing.

Sans paused for a second and then started to laugh too. "I love hot dogs...from my head tomatoes."

Frisk looked at him with a little bit of shock. She wasn't expecting him to reply like.... that. "Sans." Her eyes started to water again. "Haha... That was a good one."

She paused a moment.

Frisk takes Sans's hand and looks at him through her tears. "I'm just glad... there's still good in you. I never thought we'd talk like this again."

She doesn't know how many days she's been down here already. Possibly a month? She's unsure at this point. She's dealt with a great deal of Sans's abuse and insanity. Yet, here he is. Letting her shower. Clothing her. Feeding her. Now, joking too? She couldn't seem to stop crying.

Sans looked to the side as he felt a strong feeling of guilt. He remembered all the times he hurt her. All the terrible things he put her through. Recalling her pleading expressions. The bruises he marked onto her prior. It made his SOUL ache. It was a strong feeling of conviction. It was hard to shake off. Now, he doesn't know what he wants. It's like there are two sides of him that keep fighting. That other urge that it was pleasing to him. Yet, it feels like that satisfaction wasn't really himself. It was hurting his head.

"I don't know where you got that idea from." He smiled, but there was sadness in his eyes. "There's no good in me."

"That's not true. I can feel it." Frisk squeezed his hand into hers. She felt a little shy doing so. Those hands.... murdered who knows how many. Yet, they aren't threatening to hurt her now.

"What happened to you...?" Frisk stared at him. "Why are you like this? Why... did you kill? And...." She bit her lip to try to stop herself from crying. "Hurt me so many times?"